September 22, 2005

Just a Thought...

You know, I got to thinking today, as I got yet another fast busy signal, or "We can't complete your call at this time" message. It seems to me that the cellular phone companies are really skating by on this one. Finger pointing right and left as to who didn't do this or that, or who didn't evacuate soon enough, or who didn't arrange for buses, or who didn't secure the city soon enough, or which breakfast cereals tend to bloat people who evacuate (ok, maybe I exaggerated a little). Anyway, I can't recall hearing anyone on the national news channels pointing fingers at the cell phone companies and accusing them of not being responsive to the disaster, and not being able to keep a network of communications flowing. With so many people using cell phones, many as their only means of communication, it is critical that this method of communication be reliable under all conditions, or at least be able to be restored in a short time, neither of which appears to be the case. For the amount of $$ these companies take in we, the consumers, should expect and receive better service than what we are getting, don't you think? Anyway, that's my gripe, and I'm sticking to it.

Dean

No comments: