Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

September 26, 2005

Monday, September 26th

Monday brings a new week, with the remains of Hurricane Rita just clearing our area. By the time she reached us here in Memphis little remained but some gusty winds and light rains. We were fortunate because our neighbors in Northern Louisiana and Arkansas suffered tornadoes spawned by the storm. The forces of nature never cease to amaze me. No matter what we do, how strongly we think we’ve created something, in the end it is no match for Mother Nature.

Another member of our team has arrived in Tennessee, bringing our number to four. By next Monday we want to have all 60 here with network connections back to Ft. Worth up and running. We’ve got our hands full this week. Hopefully we won’t have any more storms to contend with and we’ll be able to get back into New Orleans to retrieve our equipment. Today Mayor Nagin is supposed to announce his new and improved plan to bring people back into the city.

Our pets are doing pretty well through this whole evolution, although I think being in small cages leaves the birds bored, because they seem to be eating more than they did at home. I guess they’ll be little porkers when we finally get to return to LA. Maybe we’ll enroll them in an avian weight loss program, or a gym.

A State Farm agent called us yesterday and gave us a quote on the damage to ¾ of our ’66 Mustang. He couldn’t see one side of it because it’s under the rubble that remains of our garage. It’ll be nice to get home and get that cleared out and rebuilt. Still waiting for an agent to assess the garage itself, as well as the house at 524. The boys tell me we lost some shingles and both wind turbines from the roof. We knew that our attic door had blown off and needs to be replaced. Thankfully, Mike took charge and covered everything with plastic until we can get the adjustors to evaluate and ok it for repairs.

I haven’t seen the news yet this AM, so I’m hoping that no new storms are brewing out in the Atlantic or Mediterranean. Please continue to pray for us and for all those affected by Katrina and Rita in any way. Your thoughts and prayers sustain us as we grapple with problems we would never have imagined we would have to deal with.

May God continue to bless us with health and happiness.


Links to this post

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Post a Comment

<< Home