October 1, 2005

October 1st - Update

I went and Googled “COGIC conference Memphis” and found out that it isn’t until Nov 7th – 15th. My bad!! No wonder I haven’t seen much about it. Seems that the Church of God in Christ headquarters is right here, in Memphis. Swell. I have enough trouble dealing with Charismatic Catholics, now I’ll be surrounded by Pentecostal Christians. :-)

Went to a Perkins restaurant for brunch and ordered what I would have ordered at IHOP. Guess I’m just a creature of habit. Maybe, maybe not, because we went to a different Perkins for supper and I had pot roast, which is something I rarely order. It was pretty good but the service was slow!! Finished it off with some French silk pie, and a virtual cup of decaf coffee. (I ordered it, but didn’t get it).

After talking about all the wonderful weather, it rained here today. Just a light rain, with a little bit of thunder and I think I saw lightning only once. At least it’ll keep the grass and trees green a bit longer.

Still trying to decide what to do for long-term accommodations. We’re looking into a suite here at the La Quinta, but won’t know for awhile if any are available. In the meantime we also have reservations for a suite at Amerisuites, which is right next to the La Quinta. There’s also a Residence Inn very near that we’re going to check out. We like the area we’re in. It’s close to the restaurants we like, has lots of malls and strip malls close by and is convenient to the interstate highway system. Plus, and a BIG plus, we really are enjoying Holy Spirit Church.

This weekend Holy Spirit Church had their Haiti Run fundraiser to support the medical mission the parish sponsors. Starting at 3PM on Friday and going until 3PM on Saturday the run lasts for 24 hours. People sign up for what time they want to run, and teams run around the clock. They also had a wonderful spaghetti supper Friday night, which Linda and I attended. There was a silent auction, mainly of items that had been brought back from previous missions to Haiti. Very nice wood carvings and metal work.

Well, gotta go make some coffee. We’re watching a little TV while waiting for the season opener of Saturday Night Live. Until next time, God bless!!

Dean

No comments: