Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

October 22, 2005

Saturday, October 22nd

I think we're becoming regulars! Tonight we went out for Chinese food to Wang's Mandarin restaurant. We've been going about once a week for the last month. It is in the shopping mall (small) right behind our hotel, so it's really convenient. The same person waits on us each time,so there is some recognition there. He knows that we like a glass of plum wine, and that we like the fried dumplings as an appetizer. We do switch up on the entree to try and find new foods that we like. At the end of our meal tonight he brought us, unordered, a plate of fried bananas that he had prepared himself for us. It was delicious! He also said he would make us fried ice cream the next time we come in. I can hardly wait! I'm looking forward to taking family or friends to Wang's when next they come to Memphis.

Not long after our daughter had returned from Orlando, her cat was mauled by a neighborhood dog. She was leaving the house with the kids and found black kitty in the driveway, so it was tears and grieving all the way to school. Very sad, because the cat had never had any problems in the past, but a neighbor had guests staying with them that had a dog that ran around loose some of the time. Maybe I'll surprise our daughter and the kids by giving them a beautiful cockatoo named Gumbo for Christmas. Hmmmm?

New Orleans is trying to recover. It seems that all but five Mardi Gras krewes have plans to roll next Mardi Gras. That should give hotels an impetus to reopen and, if successful should be a shot in the arm for New Orleans financially. Still, it's going to require a lot of city workers (police, fire, sanitation) as well as public transportation, restaurants, etc. that will need to be up and running. This means lots of people in emergency, service, restaurant, hotel, and other areas of industry who lost their homes will need to return and find housing so they can return to work.
The city certainly has its work cut out.

The diaconate office in New Orleans, formerly at Walmsley Avenue has temporarily relocated to Christ the King Parish in Terrytown. That was our parish for two years. They are working to try to get the diaconate classes back on track. Sadly, the December ordination for the '05 class has been delayed until they can complete the courses that had been scheduled for this fall. I also heard that perhaps five of the members of that class lost their homes in the storm. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of them. I can still remember the anticipation felt as ordination drew near, and to have it delayed for 6 months, or more, is difficult emotionally, not to mention all the plans that had been made, travel arrangements for family to attend. We pray that God gives them the grace of patience and resolve so that they may keep their spirits up and stay committed to the course.

Please pray for our Archbishop and all the clergy and people of New Orleans.

May God bless you with abundant love, good health, and happiness.


Links to this post

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Blogger Patti said...

No thank you, I think Gumbo is doing just fine where he is!!! After our cat died we went to your house and when Bridget saw the empty cage she cried "Gumbo died too?". So I explained that he was with you and the other birds and Maynard, and she was happy.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home