Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

October 11, 2005

Tuesday, October 11th

We made it back to Memphis. The ride was pleasant, uneventful and long. Well, only six and a half hours, but it sure dragged. It gave us plenty of time to think about the weekend and the future. Somehow we have to get control of the situation in NOLA, even though we're in Memphis. Of course, we'll be competing for all the services we will need. Blue roofs are everywhere already. Judging from the wood and drywall piled in the streets, contractors will be a hot commodity, too.

It looks like a lot of places have opened with reduced staff. Many places are using drive-up only. Job opportunities are beginning to appear. One fast food burger place had a help wanted sign advertising salaries up to $9/hour. Perhaps I should be considering a career change?

We left wondering just when the next visit would be. Thanksgiving, perhaps? That would be the first time everyone would be together again, including our daughter and the kids. I really miss the grandkids! I hear our grandson has been a soccer star at his new school. I hope he can keep it up back in New Orleans. It's especially tough on them, they've had to leave friends, make new ones, now go home where probably not all their friends will be, and then will have to make new friends again. Plus, switching schools is always stressful; you start learning whatever the school is teaching, which may not be the same as the next school.

Thanksgiving is also our youngest son's girlfriend's birthday, so maybe we can do something to celebrate and possibly meet her parents at the same time. Who knows? She is really sweet and we like her a lot!

Oh, I forgot to mention that Friday evening we were talking with our neighbor from across the street when a car drove by and we heard "BAM!!". Linda thought he might have hit one of our cats and bounced it against our car. Actually, he hit our car. Apparently his mirror caught our mirror and spun it forward, knocking the mirror itself out of the housing. He just continued on down the street like nothing had happened. Linda and I jumped into our car and gave chase. We caught up with him at the ferry landing as he was heading into one of the local watering holes. He had already had plenty of "water" and really didn't need any more. Claimed he never realized he had hit anything. Just one more thing to add to the aggravation of it all!

Today didn't begin too well, either. About 3AM I experienced what I can only describe as the New Orleans version of "Montezuma's Revenge". I ended up staying home while Linda went in to work. It's starting to pass ;-)= so I decided to have a go at this journaling thing again.

It sounds like the new class of deacons won't be ordained in December as originally planned. They're going to finish up their studies in the spring, and then will be ordained. That's tough. It's a long road, and this makes it even longer. But, they've all had the experience of Katrina and Rita to bring to their ministries when they receive the laying on of hands. We should all be able to bring more patience, more tolerance, more empathy to bear in our ministry. If we can keep our faith in God and our Lord, Jesus, and continue to share that faith with one another it will be an important part of a healing process that will take weeks, months, even years.

I think I've said before that we will most likely be here in Memphis at least three months, and perhaps six, possibly (hopefully not) longer. When we first arrived, almost everyone we met viewed us (a collective us, everyone they encountered from Louisiana) as evacuees, victims, even refugees from the storm. The priest at Holy Spirit, during one of his homilies, mentioned their "Wednesday Night Suppers" and how Katrina victims were invited to attend for free, and would continue to be for as long as they were in the area. We're into our fifth week now. As wonderful and warm and generous as the people here have been, and continue to be, I can't help but wonder if or when our welcome will wear out.

Please continue to pray for us. I'm also asking for prayers for our benefactors and their families, and especially for the victims of the earthquake in India and Pakistan. Until next time, may God continue to bless you.


Links to this post

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Post a Comment

<< Home