January 12, 2006

The More Things Stay The Same, The More Things Change.

It looks like my sojourn here in Memphis will end near the end of February, instead of April as we had originally thought.  The “safe haven” orders that brought/kept us here will end on February 24th, so after that the costs to keep us here will be born by the command, rather than the Navy.  So to save money anyone with a livable home is being sent back to New Orleans as of February 25th.

Speaking of prayers (and if we weren’t, we should), my daughter is having a job interview on Friday, so encouraging thoughts and prayers are much appreciated!

Occasionally I think about my time in the Navy, and inevitably thoughts go to my first tour after “A” school when I was assigned to Operation Deep Freeze.  I recall events and people, especially one particular friend, JM.  As it happens, I was thinking about him two days ago and on a whim decided to “google” JM to see what turned up.  Well, I found some entries and was able to get an email address.  I sent an email asking if it was the same “JM” that was in ODF.  I got an almost immediate response in the affirmative!  And, as it turns out he will be in Millington next week!  I’m looking forward to some real reminiscing.  I can’t believe Linda will be in New Orleans all week.

Linda heard today that her command won’t be able to “change homeport” before the safe haven runs out, so she may have to go back to New Orleans on the 25th as well, until the home port change takes effect.  Once the home port moves she will come back to Memphis.  I can’t believe after all this time our future plans are still so much in limbo!

We head for NOLA once again tomorrow, after work.  Hopefully it will be a fun weekend with lots of family visiting.  Major Dad (son-in-law) has invited us over for dinner on Sunday.  I think he’s going to cook Mexican.  I can hardly wait!!  Hopefully MD and family will be able to join us on our trip to Deal’s Gap.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

You get to go home, see the family AND enjoy Spinney Mexican night?? Exactly what grit sandpaper would yuo like to use to RUB IT IN???

Drive safe and I hope you guys have fun!!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Thanks for the prayers, the invertiew went well. See you soon!!!