February 10, 2006

Take This Chop And Shove It

OK. I hate to keep on with this food theme, but I have to tell you about our experience Tuesday night. First, though, some background.

Living in a hotel has it’s drawbacks when you have pets. Since we have Maynard with us, and Linda and I both work, the housekeepers won’t come in to straighten up our rooms when we aren’t there. The end result is that we only get our rooms serviced on weekends, and usually either Saturday or Sunday, not both. We’re ok with this, and understand people not wanting to come into a room with a dog and no owners.

The problem is, we waste a lot of time on the weekends because we have to first wait for housekeeping to get to our floor, then to our room, at which time we take the dog out for 20 – 30 minutes while the room gets cleaned.

Well, for the past two weekends we’ve had an issue where we spoke to the housekeeper to find out when she would be doing our room, only to have her not show up after we sat around and waited, and waited, and waited. She had left without coming to our room. The first weekend the housekeeping supervisor came and did our room, and the second weekend one of the other housekeepers found ours before she left and sent her back. Too little, too late, as far as I was concerned. While we waited in the lobby with the dog, the desk clerk made the mistake of asking how we were doing, so I told him.

Anyway, to keep a long story from getting longer, the hotel gave us two gift certificates to Amerigo’s restaurant, which is how we ended up there Tuesday night. They offered a special, cedar roasted pork chop, which is what I ordered. Was I surprised when the waiter showed up with mashed potatoes, julienne veggies and a pork chop, all on a charred cedar board? I sure was! But it was delicious!

Thursday evening we went to Outback on Germantown Rd. Prior to that I could say that I’ve never had a bad meal at Outback. No longer!! Now, anyone who knows me knows that I hate to complain about food. I’ll put up with a lot, but this time was too much. I had ordered my favorite, the “Prime Minister’s Prime Rib”. At least 1/3 of it was fat. OK, sometimes you get a little more fat than you’d like. I went with it. Then, when I got to the choice center piece, I could hardly cut it, and had to chew for what seemed like hours. It was incredibly tough. I finally gave up. The up side was that there was no charge for my meal, and they threw in a dessert as well. So I guess I’ll give them another try eventually.

More to come…

No comments: