July 12, 2006

MAYBE I SHOULD SEE THAT MOVIE, "CABLE GUY"?

OK, then. The weekend pretty much sucked!! During the week the job keeps me occupied, but on the weekend it’s tough not having Linda here. I think even the animals miss her. Neither Maynard or Gumbo made their usual morning whines, squawks, scratching, or whatever. The house was dead quiet. I must confess, I slept until 11AM on Saturday.

Sunday would probably have been very similar if I didn’t have to get up for Church. After Mass I did a baptism as a favor to Fr. Joseph. He was officially installed as pastor, so there was a reception in his honor after Mass. As it turned out, the baptism was for the grandchild of a former boss of Linda’s. What a small world. Too bad she missed it.

Sunday evening H2 and I went to the movies. We saw “The Fast and The Furious – Tokyo Drift.” It was very good, if you like that genre. Lots of fast cars, racing, testosterone, and a dash of fisticuffs for good measure.

Did I forget to mention that when I called in my cable problems I told the person who took my call that a Cox Cable rep had been up on the telephone pole outside just before we realized our cable was not working? Coincidence? I think NOT!!

So Tuesday I slept late due to a migraine, notified work I wouldn’t be in, then headed off to my doctor’s office to get some prescriptions renewed and generally check back in with her after a year. I got there at 11:30 to give me plenty of time to be home by 3:00 for the Cox repairman. There were two people ahead of me. At 1:45 I was taken to the exam room. At 2:45 I finally headed for home (quickly), arriving at my address at precisely 3:00.

At 4:55 I called Cox Cable. While maneuvering through their answering system, my cell phone rang. The caller ID displayed the number I was trying to call! Hmmmmmm. Anyway, it was Cox Cable calling to tell me that the repair guy was running behind schedule, but would still be coming. Swell! And I had a dinner date with Patti and BB!

At 6:50 a cable guy called and asked if I was still having problems with my cable. I about fell out of my chair laughing!! Still? STILL? Of freakin’ course I’m still having problems. He said he was on his way. He arrive at 7:00 with a partner and began checking my hookup starting with the pole. It looked ok, so he went to the junction box at the house. No signal. Back to the pole. Finally (actually only about 10 minutes) he figured out that somehow I was improperly connected at the pole. Gee, I WONDER HOW THAT HAPPENED, since I’ve had virtually no problems for six years. SIX YEARS!

Anyway, to make a long story short, he asked me to try my TV and voila! It worked. Before he left I tried the cable and it worked, too! Relief!!

Fr. Joseph keeps asking when I want to preach, so I told him I would preach the last weekend each month, beginning in July, so I have the 5PM Mass on the 29th, and the 8AM and 11AM Masses on Sunday, the 30th. No problem, right? Later Linda reminded me that I’m doing a wedding at a church across the river at 7PM on the 29th. Ouch! That’s gonna be cutting it close.

K&G got back from Orlando on Sunday. Although I haven’t really had much opportunity to talk with them, Kenny did say that they had a really good time. I’m glad they made it back safe and sound.

H2 has his feelers (resume) out for several federal law enforcement agencies, so if anyone knows someone who knows someone… you know, put in a good word? Prayers are welcome also.

Linda comes home tomorrow and then Thursday we’re off to PA for Jen’s wedding. Please pray for me, Linda, H1, DIL1 and Ian as we travel. We’re flying. I hate flying. PLEASE pray. Thanks, in advance. We love you all and miss you, even if you who are reading this is a friend we haven’t met yet. You are still in our prayers and we hope that God will bless you all, as he has abundantly blessed Linda and I.

No comments: