September 5, 2006

IS HIGHWAY ETIQUETTE TRULY A THING OF THE PAST?

Get ready for installments 3 and 4 on my series about STUPID drivers!! Going to work this morning, traffic is stop and go, stop and go. Watching to see what is causing the delays I can see that people who are getting off the expressway are cruising in the “fast” lane until they get to their exit, THEN they try to move over 3 lanes of solid rush hour traffic to get off. I guess it being early and all they were just unaware that the exit they take every freakin’ day was coming up and maybe they should try to ease on over sooner. But NO, it’s so much easier to make life miserable for all the drivers behind them.

There’s a Subway that I go to about a mile from where I work. It’s in a little strip mall with a Safeway grocery store and several other smaller shops. Because of the Safeway there is a fairly large parking lot for this little mall. Before I go on, consider that Subway is still one of the few eating establishments that has reopened since, well, you know. Anyway, the line is always pretty long, especially at lunch time. Anyway, as I’m sitting at a table eating my lunch (a subway club on honey oat, with lettuce, extra tomatoes, salt & pepper and oil & vinegar, for those who are interested) and looking out the front window, a car pulls up, makes no attempt at cruising the parking lot for a spot, but rather stops in the lane in front of Subway, turns off the motor, gets out of the car and comes in and gets on line for a sandwich. Parks on the red “do not stop here” lines in the street, I might add!! I just don’t understand where that kind of gall comes from.

Maybe it goes along with feeling like when your kid drops a full box of fries or a drink at Mickey D’s, they owe him a replacement. Like it was the fault of the store that he was a clumsy kid. God forbid you suggest that the Mom or Dad purchase a new one, since it was their kid’s fault in the first place!! Nobody takes responsibility for their own actions anymore!!

Flash!! This just in… The much anticipated and awaited arrival of Molly Grace on September 25th has been changed. Due apparently to some of the storks taking steroids in the off season, the delivery is scheduled for 3 days sooner, on September 22nd. So now everybody crank up that anticipation excitement a notch! BAM!!!

Just a quick note of thanks to DIL1 for mentioning Ken (of KenEllie fame) in her blog. Thanks.

I spent the past weekend in Memphis with Linda. The weather was great, the food was great, the scenery was great… I’m ready to move! A job would be nice, though, and there’s a hiring freeze in Millington right now, so I guess I’m staying put for awhile. The ride to and from was terrific, with excellent weather, no rain, and not too hot. I hope it’s the same for Linda next weekend.

We’re looking forward to a nice get together with the Ugandan seminarians next weekend. A barbeque at P&J’s is planned. Hopefully Mick and Bev and Fr. Deo will be there also. It’s always fun to introduce the newest seminarian to “American” cuisine, and I’m sure this year will be no exception, so please pray for Vincent as we try to stuff him full of kabobs, burgers, cole slaw and strawberries and ice cream!
Well, as they always say somewhere, “TTFN”!! God’s blessings be upon you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have learned lately Dad that most people (99.9999%) don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. So don't take it personal, the world revolves around some people whilst some people's worlds revolve around others. We all know which boat you reside in.

Love you always and hope to visit soon.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Funny, snakeslayer and I had a conversation yesterday about common courtesy and the concept of "pay it forward". It's not that hard to be polite, more people should try it!!!

Glad you're still in NO for now, wish mom was too.

Anonymous said...

Your last chance highway exit delays are due to Texas drivers. Next time it happens, and it will, look for those Texas Tags on the back. I guarantee you'll find them. I see it daily now. They drive in the left lane then at the last second shoot across all lanes to traffic without a blinker. (See 2nd "Fast Forward" on Hannah's "Slave Screams*" post.) I've gotten use to it which is really bad. But I haven't incorporated it into my own driving. ;)

Love ya!

ChiaSon