Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

March 5, 2007


It was really great to have S2 back again! It was also great to meet PF1,2 & 3! I hope they enjoy their visit to the Big Sleazy!

Friday H2, Linda and I joined S2 and PF1 for dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant. It’s become almost a family tradition to go there on Friday, usually with P&J and family, although they couldn’t make it this time. It was probably for the best, because it was absolutely the WORST visit we’ve ever had. The service was NOT good, although the food was VERY good!

Saturday we (Linda and I, KenEllie, H1/DIL1, H2, P&J and family, and S2 and PF1-3 went to Fire of Brazil. It was a continuation of Friday night… It started off well, as we parked in a parking garage that turned out to be adjacent to the restaurant. We were seated immediately and that’s about the end of convenience!! Once beverages were ordered, the waiter neglected to explain to everyone what the standard protocol was for a Brazilian steakhouse, e.g., first visit the salad bar, then get fresh plates as the meat courses arrive. We had the gauchos arriving with the meat and no one had plates, no one had been to the salad bar! Finally one of the managers overheard us talking and realized that everyone new to this style of dining was confused. He explained the procedure and off we went.

The food was delicious, prepared well, but the 15 – 20 minute wait between meats was a bit much. At Texas de Brazil the food came at you fast and furious and we would find ourselves turning our card to the red (stop) side frequently to catch up. Not the case at Fire of Brazil. All in all we were there for FOUR hours!! Many of the people we were with said they would not return to this restaurant. I will probably give them a few more weeks to get their routine down, then perhaps try again with a small party of 4 or 5 people. We’ll see.

Sunday we had a good old-fashioned crawfish boil. The above mentioned group was there, plus FL1. Major Dad (with the help of PF2) shucked 26 dozen oysters which were coated with a garlic butter sauce and grilled over charcoal. DEEEElicious!!! The crawfish were cooked perfectly, slid out of their shells easily and were a nice size. The only downer was it was pretty darned chilly yesterday, so everyone had to bundle up to stay warm… The house wasn’t much help because the heat went out on Friday.

Sadly, H1/DIL1 are back in Houston, probably for a good while now. Also, Linda may be returning to Memphis at the end of the week. S2 and friends go back home Wednesday. It looks like H2 and I will be on our own for awhile. No joy there!

Thanks to everyone for their continued prayers in answer to my many requests. May God continue to bless you all.

Links to this post

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Blogger Hannah said...

Was a great weekend indeed. Thanks to everyone!!

Although you may be lonely without Mom, I know a place where you and H2 could enjoy a quick weekend getaway. Ut-uhm, in Texas maybe? hehe

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Chia said...

You're right about that! And I do want to try me some Fogo de Chão!

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home