Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

July 4, 2007


It's been a really interesting past 5 days, in a good and not so good, way. First the not so good. Our faithful companion, Maynard, has been sick for almost a week and a half. He seems to be having an allergic reaction to something, as he breaks out in little welts all over, and his face swells up until he looks like a shar pei (he's a boxer) and he quit eating. The first time this happened we rushed him to the vet who put him on benedryl which seemed to have an immediate effect, but left him lethargic. Unfortunately after a day or two the symptoms would return. So, more benedryl and more trying to coax him to eat. It happened again over this past weekend. So far he seems to be holding his own, though, since Sunday.

Now for the good...

Friday Linda and I went to see "Knocked Up". We enjoyed the show, although there was a bit more use of the "F" word than we were necessarily comfortable with. Would not recommend it for kids under, say, 15 or 16 at least. Still, very funny movie which actually brought up some thought provoking issues about love and marriage and casual sex and consequences and being mature and taking responsibility.

And more good... Friday night (does 2:30 AM on Saturday still count as Friday night?) H1 and DIL1 arrived from Houston. They came for a 4-day visit which was to include a trip to The Shed on Sunday. It is always really great when they come to visit. H2 perks up visibly, and the family just takes on a whole new level of excitement when H1 and DIL1 are around. Feel the love?!? Anyway, we had a nice mostly family dinner (KenEllie were missing) at Carreta's Mexican restaurant and later in the evening Linda assumed babysitting duties while Major Dad, DLG, H1, DIL1, H2, KenEllie and I all went out to a local hangout for some spirits and entertainment.

A little more bad... Sunday morning H1 was not feeling very well (ok, he was violently sick), to the point that we had to cancel the trip to The Shed. Sunday night Ian was taken with the same symptoms that H1 had had that morning. The pattern was to continue when DIL1 succumbed on Tuesday night.

OK. Back to the good. Sunday Linda, Major Dad and I went to Byblos for a late lunch, then on to Whole Foods Market to pick up a Chantilly Berry Cake and some sausage for a cook-out that evening. Major Dad, if I haven't mentioned it before, is a truly gifted cook, and barbecuing is just one of his many culinary talents. He whipped up a fantastic meal of grilled hamburgers and cheeseburgers, hot dogs, and four (count 'em, four) types of sausages! It was awesome! This time we actually had the whole family together, which was especially great, as Sunday marked KenEllie's first wedding anniversary! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Monday was a work day for some, leisure for others. Monday night we went to Mo's for pizza. Major Dad stayed home to be with Ian, still recovering from the night before. Mo's is noteworthy in that, not only is their pizza really good, but their "small" is the size of what any other pizza restaurant would call large, and their "large" is simply HUGE!!

Tuesday I joined H1, DIL1 and H2 for lunch at Superior Grill, a favorite spot of DIL1. DLG also had lunch there, but chose to "dis" the family for lunch with some former co-workers. That's ok. We understand. I just want to know why she was the only one at her table who looked really happy? Did I mention they were "former co-workers" meant to imply that they still work where DLG left? Later in the afternoon we (H1/DIL1/H2/Ian/BB/Me) went to see the movie "Transformers". It was really good if you enjoy special effects, which I do. The transforming of cars, trucks, tanks, planes, etc. into robots was pretty amazing. Lots of action, noise, destruction of buildings and vehicles, along with some nice humor interjected into the story made it a fast moving 2+ hours. It even had a boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, boy gets girl story live woven in, so I even recommend the movie to all you "chick flick-ers" out there. Just hold on to your hats 'cause it's a pretty intense ride.

Today is Independence day. Happy 4th of July!!!

Tomorrow will mark Linda and I being married for 38 years. I still love her more than I could ever have imagined when we first met. It boggles my mind how love can continue to grow and grow as time goes by. She truly is my life, my love, my raison d'etre. Linda, I LOVE YOU!!!

For my extended family and friends, have a happy, and safe, holiday! Pray for those in the midwest and south who are suffering with all the flooding, and for those in California dealing with all the fires. Such tragedy. So much loss of life and property. Although I'm sure that eventually those affected will emerge stronger for the experience, I still pray that they will know God's mercy and love through the kindness and generosity of both neighbor and stranger alike. God is GOOD, and we, being made in His image and likeness, are good as well.

Again, Happy 4th!! May God bless you, your families, our military and their families, and all who proudly call themselves Americans!!

Links to this post

Links to this post:


Blogger Hannah said...

We had SOO much fun while in town. Thanks for everything you all do to make us comfortable! Happy anniversary Mom and Dad, it is nice to see that the dream isn't impossible!! We love you.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home