November 18, 2007

HAM IT UP, YOU TURKEY!!

It looks like we've made it. After three days of being holed up in the house I ventured out yesterday evening to vote, and today went to church. The virus seems to have lost its grip on me, and hopefully L and H2, finally.

The weather is abso-tively posi-lutely gorgeous!! The sun is shining, the sky is blue and the temperature is in the mid-70s. Perfection! At least for a little while. It's supposed to cloud up and probably rain (50% chance) later today. Then another front moves through, so Thanksgiving will also be a wet one, then very cool days follow, with highs in the low 60s for a couple of days.

On the neighborhood news side, it looks like one of our ankle bracelet wearing neighbors is moving soon. That should bring our number of convicted felons within a 3 house radius from us down to one. Life is good.

We are, as are probably most of you, getting ready for Thanksgiving. Every year I try for an Outback Thanksgiving, but Linda is adamant that we will cook at home. Which is really ok, because she makes the BEST sausage stuffing ever. And home cooked turkey is really the tastiest, too, so I'm looking forward to the feast.

Speaking of traditions (or not), we've had a few come and go over the years. Such things as turkey for Thanksgiving, ham and turkey for Christmas, and ham for Easter. Then there's my mom's eggnog at Christmas/New Year's, made ALWAYS with Canadian Mist, no other brand will do. That one is kind of hit or miss. We do it some years and some years we don't. Linda sometimes makes fruit cake cup cakes, which actually got me to like fruit cake because hers are so fresh and delicious. Aunt Daisy's cookies for Christmas. Pumpkin pies, apple pies and (thankfully) NO MINCEMEAT!!! And, there's always spaghetti and cole slaw, which I remember from my childhood, but everyone else thinks I'm nuts. Actually I think they go well together, but it has to be MY cole slaw, not the kind you get at Popeye's, or Chick-fil-a, or some such stuff. On New Year's Eve my folks used to make oyster stew (actually oysters in a milky buttery broth) that tasted great, but I couldn't handle the oysters. How I loved the broth with oyster crackers!! That's something I should try to make, now that I've finally developed a taste for oysters. Maybe it's time for a tradition revival?

I guess some traditions will have to change now that kids are married, or moved, and are now mixing traditions with their spouses to create new ones. It's another sign that we've earned our gray hair.

Last Saturday, November 10th, we went to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra at the New Orleans Arena. The concert was terrific! Wonderful music, awesome light and fireworks show, and just a good time altogether. KenEllie joined us and I think they enjoyed it, too. I would definitely recommend the show to anyone who has the opportunity to go. Hopefully TSO will be back next year.


Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!!

1 comment:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

MMMM....eggnogg...

Love the pic!!!