January 5, 2008

On The 12th Day of Christmas I Gave My True Love

A house free of Christmas decorations... so sad!

Tomorrow is the Feast of the Epiphany, officially ending the Christmas season, and beginning the season of Carnival here in New Orleans. Traditionally tomorrow is when the bakeries begin to sell king cakes. A bane to my goal to lose a significant part of me this year!!

And how about we start the year off with a BB quote of the day? "Uncle Dean, I don't like you unless you bring Brenda over." Uncle Dean, "She's in the bathroom." BB, "Oh. Uncle Dean, I LOVE you!!" They learn SO young!

It's now 12:30PM and we just got back from church. I guess I should finish this post that I began yesterday evening, huh?

Last night we grilled steaks and had a family get together at our house. Major Dad made a truly AWESOME salad, and baked beans. Those of you who know MD know what I'm talking about! The whole NOLA clan was gathered; Linda and I, H2 and Brenda, KenEllie, MD/DLG and I,BB,MMP. It was a great time, and of course, even with H1/DIL1 missing the table conversation at times headed straight for the gutter. Ah, well. I guess it wouldn't be a family dinner if the conversation didn't get a little "enlightening" to say the least!

When H2 returns with Brenda we are planning to head to the "Shed" for some BBQ, a trip that is LONG overdue!! Unfortunately, Ellie is not feeling well so she and Kenny won't be able to join us. Prayers for Ellie that her recovery is quick.

Also, prayers please for Major Dad. Work sends him to Tampa next week. He'll be driving so we pray for good weather and safe roads.

Crawfish season is just around the corner! Actually, some people are boiling already, although the crawfish are still pretty small. Hopefully we'll be able to have a few boils in March and April, and maybe get H1/DIL1 in town for one, too!

Speaking of March, my nephew Tim (S3's son) is getting married in March. We're really excited about getting to see most of the Herrick family from all over get together in Dallas for the nuptials. His bride-to-be, who we met while attending our niece Jenn's (S2-s daughter) wedding in '06, is absolutely delightful. They do make a wonderful, beautiful couple!!

Tim, by the way, through his connections with LaQuinta at the time, was instrumental in arranging our accommodations in Orlando, then in Memphis, when we evacuated for Katrina. We are forever greatful for his assistance.

As I wrap this up so I can finally get it posted (it's now 1:40PM) I wish you all a happy and SAFE Carnival season!!

5 comments:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Are you ready for parades? Whoo-hoo!!!

Hannah said...

Crawfish burl? Did someone say crawfish burl? We are SOOO there.

I mean we would love to come visit as we miss you all so very much. Hey, it can be both!

Deacon Paul said...

Hey Dean -

I saw in your post "Tomorrow is the Feast of the Epiphany, officially ending the Christmas season". That is what I had always thought. However, in the Misalette used in my Parish, it is asserted that the Baptism of Our Lord is the official end of the Christmas season. What's with that?? Can you please educate this soon to be fledgling?

Paul

Deacon Dean said...

I stand corrected. Christmas season does, indeed, continue until the Baptism of Our Lord. Ordinary Time begins January 14th. Good catch!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dean! Thanks for the sweet words. We can't wait to see you guys!

Love,

Tim and Kristen