November 8, 2005

Autumn In Memphis

Boy, it was beautiful going to work today. I had not felt well when I woke up, so I took some headache medicine and stayed in bed an extra hour. When I finally drove in, the sun was shining, the temp was around 70. There's a road that connects the back gate and front gate of the Naval station. Part of the road is through a wooded area and today it was like a yellow, orange and red snowfall as leaves drifted down around me from the trees on either side of the road. It was awesome! I don't realize how much I miss the seasons until I get to experience them again.

Filled up with gas again today. $2.11/gallon. Once again I feel like I got a bargain! I think maybe I should go out and buy a real gas guzzler so as to take advantage of this good fortune.

Number 2 son made it home from Houston. We're always relieved when the kids arrive safe and sound from traveling. Hopefully we'll be the next to make a trip to get together with everyone.

Rumor has it that heads are rolling because the Times-Picayune got hold of a story that the NSIPS program, originally in production at SPAWAR Systems Center New Orleans is planning on remaining in Millington. Apparently there is some congessional interest over this. I wonder how they'd like to know that it appears that the CO of EPMAC, where Linda works, wants to stay here as well, rather than return to New Orleans for the two years they had left before BRAC takes effect!! That's leaving a lot of people in a bind because the CO is showing no empathy whatsoever for those who have lives to rebuild in NOLA. The civilian employees are also being penalized by being forced to take their "use or lose" leave. This means that those displaced must take vacation, like it or not, and while they are in a leave (vacation) status they lose the per diem they are given for being displaced. Excess use or lose can be carried over into the next year if the command disapproves the leave request, which would seem to be the compassionate and caring thing to do.

It's sad to hear how people are just walking away from their homes, leaving them boarded up with their destroyed possessions piled up inside. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have to make such a decision. My heart goes out to all who are faced with such a devastating choice.

Went to Back Yard Burgers again tonight so that we could grab a quick take out and get back in time for NCIS. Linda got the Hawaiin chicken sandwich. After eating she declared that BYB is her new favorite restaurant, so it must have been good!

Wishing everyone God's blessings. - Dean

No comments: