November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving Day

The morning has dawned bright and cool. Temperatures are in the low 50's, but quite comfortable after the low 40's of Tennessee. The sun is shining and for once we didn't have to get up at o-dark-thirty to start cooking the traditional bird. At our daughter's suggestion we opted to purchase a turkey already cooked. It had better be pretty darned tasty, 'cause she informed us over the phone as we were driving in that it was costing us $220!! I almost turned the car around right there!

Kind of interesting morning, so far, depending on your perspective, I guess. Since I left my bathrobe in Memphis, I was wandering around the house in just my "tighty whities" (actually loosey blackies) letting Maynard out and fixing him his breakfast when out from the back bedroom comes my daughter-in-law! Oops! That's an image that will probably live in the horrific recesses of her brain forever. Sorry about that!

The birds wasted no time getting back into their routine of chirping and shrieking as soon as the sun came up. Sigh, no rest for the weary! The only thing that will shut Gumbo up is if someone is actually present in the living room with him. And, I can pretty much guarantee you that there's not much in the way of entertainment on the tube at 6:30AM, at least for a TV connoisseur such as myself.

On the bright side, the whole family will be gathered together today. It will be great to see all the kids again. It's been way too long since we've seen Ian and B'Bee. Now if I could just find something for breakfast... but the cupboards are bare. I wonder if the little coffee shop is open this morning. They serve breakfast if you can wait through the crowd of FEMA workers, insurance adjustors, and now probably contractor workers as well.

Pretty soon we'll start preparing the side items to go with that crown jewel of a turkey. Corn, sweet potatoes, baked white potatoes, candied yams, peas, yum! Crap, I'm making myself even hungrier and there's still nothing to eat in the house, unless I eat what we brought for the dinner.

OK. Time to go out on the prowl. My growling stomach is drowning out the TV (not that that's a bad thing!). Happy Turkey Day, y'all! - Dean

2 comments:

Louisiana Rose said...

Well, that was pretty tasty turkey! Perhaps we will do it again at Christmas! But aside from the food the company was outstanding. It was soooo good to be together again. This weekend is going to be way too short. Happy birthday Ellie and may you be spending many more with us.

Hannah said...

The turkey was great but the atmosphere and guests were outstanding. I have never before enjoyed the company of my family, the food devoured and the sweet, whispered prayer from Bee-B as much I did T-Day 2005!