November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving Eve

We're BACK!! We drove in from Memphis to have Thanksgiving with the kids. It's a bittersweet experience. More bitter than sweet, I'm afraid. The kids did a wonderful job of cleaning up the house before we got here, and we're grateful for that.

Still, it's difficult to stave off the depression as I look around the properties. The destroyed garage is still there, the ruined freezer is still there. Pave stones from our hard fought for front patio are in disarray. Fences are leaning precariously. So much to be done, but we can't do it from Tennessee!

Thanksgiving has always been held at our home, although for the last several years Christmas has moved to our daughter's home. This year Thanksgiving, too, moves to her house. And, knowing that we will be leaving to go back to Memphis Sunday afternoon is a constant cloud over us. Some of my coworkers are driving in every weekend. I don't know how they do it.

On a brighter note, Maynard, Gumbo, Evil Greenbird (Precious) and Craig-er all look happy to be back in their homes. They've been remarkably adaptive to the cramped situation in the hotel, so it's nice to bring them home for some space on occasion.

Fr. John is putting me to work! Not only am I preaching at all Masses this weekend, but I'm also doing a graveside service on Friday. It's time I got back into the swing of things. Driving in today I was thinking about preaching this weekend and realized that it's been four months since my last homily! I hope I'm not too out of practice.

My Houston son is driving in tonight. He's not due in until after midnight. I need him to help me connect to the internet here at the house. He set up a secure wireless network and I'm not able to connect, so I'm mooching off a neighbor's unsecured wireless to post my blog tonight.

I guess I should back up and read my pre-Thanksgiving blog to remind myself how much I have to be thankful for, and stop these negative feelings that I'm having. Things could be so much worse than they are.

In 21 minutes it'll be Thanksgiving. I hope you all enjoy good health, happiness and the joy of family. Try not to eat too much (yeah, right). May God continue to bless you.

Dean

No comments: