December 17, 2005

Happy Birthday to ME!!!

Fifty-six years old yesterday (fitty-six if you’s from the lower Nine’t Ward). It’s been a pretty good ride so far. I’ve seen and done a lot more than some, less than others. All in all though, it’s been a good life, I think. This was going to be a bit of a trip down Memory Lane, but once I got started I decided there just wasn’t enough room on this blog for everything I remember, even if I limited it to just the good things.

Instead, I think I’ll make a list of things I wish my kids could remember.

I wish my kids remembered sledding down the mountainside in winter, and having horse chestnut fights on that same mountainside in the summer.
I wish my kids remembered ice skating on ponds and flooded tennis courts, and flopping down into snow banks with your friends.
I wish my kids remembered hay rides, and toboggans, and hot chocolate and popcorn in front of the fire.
I wish my kids remembered watching their grandfather marching down Main Street with the other legionnaires in the Memorial Day, Veteran’s Day and 4th of July parades.
I wish my kids remembered playing hide and seek in the fields of corn, and the sickly sweet smell of silage as they helped feed the cows in winter.
I wish my kids remembered walking into Grandma’s house and being hit by the wonderful smells of dinner cooking on the wood burning stove.
I wish my kids remembered Memorial Day weekend, when all the parks and pools opened, and going to the lake and jumping into the water because it was too cold to ease into.

Hmmm… Maybe this is a trip down Memory Lane after all!

Got calls with birthday wishes from all the kids. Of notable mention are the singing of Happy Birthday left on my voicemail, daughter-in-law’s, “Happy Birthday, Dad. So, how old are you now? 72?” and not to be outdone, H2’s, “So, you’re what? 56? I guess you’ll be dead soon then, huh? Don't forget to pay off the mortgage, ok?” Let’s see now, where WAS that Christmas list again????

Sometimes it’s a bitch being loved, you know?

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a GOOD NIGHT!!!! - Dean

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Dean has always gotta be the ass, eh??!?!?! That was pretty funny though, he gets two points for effort.

Hannah said...

This is Chiason under Hannah's login (aka H1). Okay, H2, you my brother are a butt hole! Extremely funny though. And thank you for sharing Chia. Those were some nice memories. Don't stress though, I'm feeling my age too. Thinking of what to get the kids for Christmas makes me think of the hours upon hours I spent dreaming up scenarios to play with my little match box cars on the livingroom rug. Long before there was Atari or Cable TV or all these other things that make our lives "better". We love ya Pop. Hope the B-Day went well. ***ChiaSon***

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Happy Birthday Fajah!!! Wish we could spend it together, double bummer - your birthday AND Fri nite and no Mom and Pops! I've got your room reserved at the home across the street from Bike Night!