December 26, 2005

Happy Feast of St. Stephen!! Tonight the diaconate community of the Archdiocese of New Orleans gathers at St. Stephen's Church for Mass. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone. This will be the first gathering since Katrina, so I'm hoping for a good turnout.

You know how sometimes you just need to pamper yourself? Well, I decided it was my time, so I took out the foot bath/massager that was given to us last Christmas. I've spent an entire year thinking about trying it out, and finally today I did. Note to self: When the instructions say "bath oil" it does NOT mean liquid soap!! My second attempt proved a little more successful and a little less sudsy! Very nice experience. I think I'll be bringing it up to Memphis.

The kids headed back to Houston today, and H2 went with them. He's going to spend a week visiting. I hope they have a safe trip and a pleasant visit. I know #2 son really misses #1 son and daughter-in-law since they've moved. Then it's up to Memphis for him to pick up his bedroom suite. Hopefully we'll also have a nice visit.

This coming weekend we look forward to a visit from our daughter as she comes to Memphis to retrieve our grandson. We're going to try to pack about 2 weeks worth of shopping and dining into 2 days for her!! I know she's looking forward to a taste of a "normal" life.

Speaking of normal, it has once again been an interesting visit to NOLA. There are trailers everywhere, and signs of more to come. Where ever there seems to be a bit of space, plumbing is being laid to support a trailer community. Of course it's necessary if people are to return and start rebuilding their lives, but it sure is an eye opener to actually see it in progress. And there are still US Army and Nat'l Guard units encamped around the area as well.

Other reminders of the past several months remain. While visiting with our daughter we noticed a couple of boxes of MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) and Miller Brewing Co. bottled water. We probably should have had the MREs for Christmas dinner. Although I personally have not had any, I hear that they are actually pretty good, a far cry from the old "C-Rats" that I have eaten.

I guess we'll be catching up on the local news when we get back to Memphis. Although we've cancelled the newspaper 3 times since Katrina, it is delivered faithfully every day, so we're greated with a stack of them whenever we return home. I wish they had been that consistent in their delivery before the storm.

The telephone company isn't doing much better. After our phone line was cut to make way for electric company trucks, it has been disconnected ever since. This is since September 8th. Since then we've cancelled our landline service, but we're still getting our phone bills like clockwork.

Well, that's news from NOLA for now. Take care and God bless you. Happy New Year!!

No comments: