December 20, 2005

More Memphis Motel Musings

OK, kiddos. Enough with the "56" jokes. I get it already. I'm older than dirt. Fine, deal with it!

We went to our Chinese restaurant last night. We were planning to surprise our waiter with a small token of our appreciation, some New Orleans style gifts. We enjoyed a nice dinner, with him as our waiter. He managed to bring me a second glass of plum wine without my asking, and later brought one for Linda, also. Then, just as we suspected, he brought a large fried ice cream dessert. That is when we gave him his gift. He was very surprised, but seemed pleased. When we told him that we planned to bring our daughter and family in for dinner when they came to visit, he mentioned that he is leaving on January 2nd to move to Atlanta. We wished him well and assured him that we would miss him.

Looking back on the evening, what's up with that anyway? How come HE gets to leave Memphis before we do? Bummer!

Tonight was Corky's night. I ordered their BBQ pork and spaghetti plate. And guess what?!? It came with cole slaw!!! Yep, just like when I was growing up home in upstate NY. Linda never understands how cole slaw and spaghetti go together, but our waitress, who happened to be from Chi-town, said that she grew up with spaghetti and slaw, too! I have been VALIDATED! YES!!! (much pumping of hands here.)

I don't know if we're in desperate need of a sanity check or what. Every day I look at our car, then I look around the apartment at the bags and boxes that need to go back to NOLA with us. Then I mentally add in the luggage, pet supplies, Christmas dinner stuff we're purchasing here, then I look at the car again. It keeps getting smaller and smaller! And if that weren't crazy enough, tonight we bought a complete bedroom set. A queen size sleigh style bed, with dresser, chest, night table and mirror. Now we have to pick it up, store it, and finally get it back to NOLA for one of our sons. Let's see now, where was that sanity checker???

I've gotta tell you. Maynard is really a good dog! I've gotten pretty complacent lately, and I tend to take him out for his constitutional walks without putting him on the leash. Today as we were walking across the parking lot toward the grass, I realized that he had taken a quick turn and was headed off in a different direction. Looking over I saw someone else also walking his dog, but on a leash. I shouted, "Maynard!! No! Stop! Sit!" and by golly if he didn't stop and sit!
He sat there until I caught up and put on his leash. Then he got to "say hello" to Coco, the all white bulldog and something mix. Yep, he's a good dog.

Linda and I are really looking forward to next weekend. I'll be serving at the Saturday 5PM Christmas Vigil Mass, and also at the Midnight Mass, which is always beautiful. I'm hoping that all my children will join us at one or the other of services.

It will be great to be back at Holy Name of Mary parish, at least for a couple of days. I do miss everyone there. If you ever get to New Orleans, come on down to HNM for church. We'll be glad to have you.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!! - Dean

2 comments:

Louisiana Rose said...

Please note: there are NO pictures anywhere on the internet that have spaghetti AND coleslaw on the same plate! See? They are far, far away from each other! Like, maybe at DIFFERENT meals!!

Hannah said...

Yeah, cole slaw and sketties?? Nahhhh ....