January 19, 2006

Did Somebody Say, "CHOCOLATE"?!?!?


So much has been said about Mayor Nagin’s “chocolate city” comment that I hesitate to venture into those waters. I cannot, however, resist at least including this picture sent to me by H2. Do you think “hizhonor” knows how much I LUV chocolate???

It’s back again to New Orleans tomorrow. I just drove up here this past Monday so it’s been a very short week. The drive seems to get longer and longer every time we go. Oh, well, it’s only a few more (6-7) weeks before I can once again call New Orleans home.

This will be an interesting weekend, I think. Holy Name of Mary Church is “twinning” with a parish in Virginia, I think. That means that we will be getting support in our rebuilding efforts to get us through the hard times. This weekend Fr. John is going to Virginia, and the pastor of our “twin” parish is coming to HNM. Linda and I are the designated hosts in Fr. John’s absence. He’s going to get a taste of New Orleans Food and Spirits (NOFS to the initiated) cuisine.

We had ice yesterday. Ice! ICE!!! On the roads, not in the freezer. Today it’s close to 70 degrees. Somebody bring me my Alka-Seltzer! Speedily!

One good thing about being in Memphis is keeping up with home town sports. Memphis has the Grizzlies, who play (and recently lost to) the Hornets. They also have UofM (University of Memphis) Tigers (blue and white school colors) who play Tulane in football and basketball. The Tennessee Titans, of course, play the Saints.

I would say I’m gonna miss the food here, but really, most of the places we eat are chains, and New Orleans once had them and probably will have them again. Take Corky’s for instance. The original Corky’s restaurant is only a mile or two down the road here in Memphis. Linda and I have eaten there numerous times. They’re pretty proud of being a Corky’s owned and run restaurant. The Corky’s in NOLA, on the other hand, is a franchise restaurant, which gives the owner a bit of leeway in what they serve. Not a huge difference in menus, but I have to tell you, I like the food and the service better in the NOLA Corky’s.

Until next time, take care and God bless you!

2 comments:

Louisiana Rose said...

Gee, they have been trying to sell naming rights to the Superdome for awhile now. What a perfect opportunity for Hershey's!!

Hannah said...

LOL, you are so right ... how about the Hershey City v. the Crescent City??

Is anyone else craving it right now?? hehe