Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

January 1, 2006

Plop, Plop. Fizz, Fizz.

It’s a great start to a New Year!!  Excerpts: As I was coming back in from walking Maynard, “Would you mind taking him out for a few more minutes?  She (granddaughter) just vomited all over the floor right behind the door” and (from said granddaughter) “Here Maynard, lick my barf, lick my barf!!  Look, he’s doing it!”  Yeah, it’s gonna be a wizbang of a New Year, I can tell!

Now she’s dancing around the room, playing fetch with Maynard and watching Grandma hold “Evil Greenbird”.

Our daughter arrived late Friday night from New Orleans.  Yesterday we got up and went out for breakfast at Brother Juniper’s.  Since there was a 15 – 20 minute wait, which was more than likely ½ hour to 40 minutes, we went instead to Blue Plate Café, where we enjoyed a pleasant breakfast after waiting for only 10 minutes to be seated.

After breakfast we went SHOPPING!!!  Mother and daughter were in their element.  Memphis has a huge two-story mall where we spent about 3 hours.  The three girls went in one direction, and my grandson and I went the other.  

Oh, we also went to the Navy base and showed everyone where Linda and I work.  We stopped at the exchange and commissary then drove back to Memphis, taking a leisurely route on country roads back to the mall.  It was cool, sunny and very pretty.

After shopping we came home and got ready for dinner.  Dinner was at Wang’s.  When our grandson told his mom we were going to Wang’s for dinner she was less than enthused.  She’s not a big fan of chicken wings, and thought he was saying “wings” with a Southern accent.

Wang’s was excellent.  Our waiter (who departs for Atlanta on Tuesday) surprised us with not one, but two extra glasses of plum wine with dinner!!  It’s a good thing the restaurant is just around the corner from the hotel.  The food was, as usual, wonderful and everyone was stuffed to the max.  Then he brought us fried ice cream and two orders of fried bananas.  All in all a really nice dinner experience.

The drawback to the plum wine was that we were all too tired to stay up to usher in the New Year.  I have to assume that my other children took care of that for us.  We managed to hang in until 10:30, but that was it.  I was awake at 12:04 when #3 son called to wish us a Happy New Year.  Does that count?  I didn’t think so.

Today we went to Brother Juniper’s for breakfast and were seated with no waiting.  Everything was delicious and we all had a good time.  Then it was back to the hotel via a circuitous route to see a bit more of the city.  Then the ladies went out to… SHOP!  Who would have guessed?  Grandson and I stayed in the room where I took a well deserved nap while he entertained himself on his PSP.

So, how’s that for a New Year’s weekend?  No booze (except for the plum wine with dinner (), no fireworks, but, as Linda observed, “the weekend’s not over yet.”  We’re planning on a nice Mexican dinner (marguerita’s here we come!!) and perhaps a movie.  I guess I need to go check the movie listings.

I hope everyone’s New Year observation was happy, healthy and uneventful and my wish for everyone is that the New Year bring you all that you desire, more than you deserve, and love in infinite quantity!!  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Links to this post

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Blogger Hannah said...

Look, he's doing it ... OMG that is the funniest ever!!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home