April 17, 2006

Vote Early, and Vote Often!!

Two weeks ago we sat in horrendous traffic trying to cross the Crescent City Connection from the West Bank of New Orleans to the East Bank. What brought this about, you ask? It was a demonstration, led by none other than the Reverend Jesse Jackson, himself, trying to highlite the gross unfairness of Louisiana's electoral situation. Signs that read "Iraq has better democracy than Louisiana" proliferated.

The news reported several thousand people participated. And how did they get there? They were bused in!! Bused!! Why is it that some people refuse to do ANYTHING for themselves? Why do some people want EVERYTHING handed over on a silver platter? I expected more from the Rev. Jackson. Hasn't he ever heard of the concept of "absentee ballots"? Every single displaced eligible voter has the opportunity to receive and submit an absentee ballot for the upcoming election. So, why the demonstration? And why bus all these people in? If you must bus, Reverend Jesse, why not bus the voters in for election day? Hmm? Or why not send buses full of absentee ballots to various locations throughout the country where people can go to pick them up? Hmm?

I wonder how many of the people who are ranting and raving about their lost right to vote will never return to New Orleans anyway. There's no way to tell at this point. A recent special election for a state representative here in Memphis was wrought with voter fraud (ineligible people voting, dead people voting (how much more ineligible is that??). It appears to me that the situation we are now faced with in New Orleans offers not only the potential for, but the opportunity for mass voter fraud. How can you prove or disprove someone's eligibility to vote when faced with "Yes, I'm a citizen of New Orleans, but I lost my home and all my id during Katrina."?

4 comments:

Hannah said...

I got my absentee voting information, what is the matter with the rest of those attic-rescued lazies??

As Ellie would say, "Grab your floaties."

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

OMG!!! Did you watch the nationally televised mayoral debate last night? We're never gonna get any respect!!!

Louisiana Rose said...

Hmmmm, perhaps when I lose my job I'LL run for something...

Hannah said...

Vote Herrick in 2006!!