August 24, 2006

I'M STILL HERE, BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

I had a job interview today. Now THAT was nerve-wracking!! I think I can count the number of job interviews I’ve had in my entire LIFE on one hand. Too bad. It’s a job I think I could do well, but don’t think I fit the picture of who they are looking for. Oh, well. C’est la vie. At least I’m fairly happy doing what I do now.

Big J commented at lunch that I haven’t blogged in awhile. Then Ellie, of KenEllie fame texted me with a similar comment. I can’t help it if I just get blogger’s block. It happens. I just hate to ramble on and on without having anything really substantive to say, although I have done so in the past. I try to keep it to a minimum.

The first anniversary of Katrina is only five days away. A whole year has gone by. I’ve shared some of my perceptions with you before, but I think as we get closer to the anniversary, we get more thoughtful about it. At least I do. And what I’ve been thinking about most is how much of New Orleans is still relatively untouched (repairs-wise) since the storm. At the rate we are going I would venture to say that the New Orleans of 2015 will be quite a bit smaller than that of 2005. This might not be so bad. There’s been much talk of “green space” over the past year. A few more parks and green areas, especially in some of the more blighted areas of pre-Katrina New Orleans might be a good thing. This is a great opportunity to beautify an aging city.

Katrina has brought about an unexpected opportunity to improve our school system. Many charter school associations have sprung up, taking over administration of many of the public schools. Hopefully this will result in better schools which will, in turn, be a selling point for bringing people to New Orleans, rather than a reason to not come to New Orleans.

It’s time I put behind me what was before, and get on with the new normalcy of life post-K. I don’t see any changes coming any time soon, so for now, life is a lesson in patience, perseverance, flexibility and creativity (after all, necessity IS the mother of invention, is it not?). For now, and for the foreseeable future, we do by making do.

Life is good. The alternative? Not so good. So be it. Let’s live life to the fullest, optimistic about the future and ready to pitch in to make the future a better place for everyone.

Take care, God bless.

No comments: