August 6, 2006

What the.....?!?!

Where in the world do people get the idea that if they put their directional on it automatically gives them the right of way?!?  Happens every day!  People are so self-absorbed that God forbid they have to slow down and get in behind someone! You know the ones.  As you approach your exit, someone comes zooming up in the lane next to you and cuts you off at the exit.  Of course, there’s no one behind you for half a mile.   I just want to yell at them, “Hey, wake up and get in the correct lane early enough that you don’t have to cut someone off!!”, but I’m sure they’d not have a clue.

Our trip to The Shed turned into a trip to Outback.  The weather forecast called for a 60% chance of showers, so several people decided to stay home.  Finally H2, FL1, SIL and I took a leisurely ride in the “country” up River Road.  Just as we reached the I-310 spur, we entered a storm front that had been approaching us.  I-310 quickly took us out of it, and the rest of the trip was sunny and nice.  When we got home we gathered up Patti and the kids and went to Outback.

On the way back we passed through part of the Lakeview subdivision.  It amazes me still now many homes in this affluent neighborhood remain virtually untouched since the storm, now almost a full year ago.  And I’ve been getting emails from my former parish, Christ the King, in Terrytotwn, that report this person or that person is moving to the North Shore, or out of the state.  A slow but steady trickle.  At work, too, the contractors we work with are slowly moving to new jobs in areas other than New Orleans.

And I can’t say that I blame them.  We’re experiencing overcrowding in the areas that are habitable.  People seem to be always on top of one another.  Common courtesy has long since left our town.  Tempers remain short, while lines remain long.  Still, everywhere you look people are trying to live as normally as they can.  Driving down the street you can smell the backyard grills fired up and cooking.  The restaurants that have reopened are booming, as people seek to put aside the realities of their lives for a few moments of social pleasure.

Yet, the specter of Katrina and Rita remain.  Everyone is sort of looking over their shoulder as they try to get on with their lives, waiting , wondering  and hoping that last year was it for the next century.

And oh, by the way, Linda is in Memphis and I’m in New Orleans and that pretty much SUX!!!  Whew.!  Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.  Venting is good for the soul, I think.  I guess I just need to, in the words of my friend Tom from Houma/Covington, “Give it to Jesus!!!”  

That’s it, I’m done for tonight.  Happy Feast of the Transfiguration!  Take care and God bless you all.

2 comments:

Louisiana Rose said...

this New Orleans/Memphis thing. I keep saying in God's time. Do you think His watch stopped??

Hannah said...

I understand that the old sand-in-a-bottle timepiece was all the rage, the cool man's sundial, back in JC's day but I think an upgrade may be in order.