September 19, 2007

ANYBODY READ TEA LEAVES?

So Linda and I are sitting in the dining room at KenEllie’s having tea when Kenny mentions that he knows that I have tried marijuana. He knows this because his oldest brother, H1, told him that he (H1) was pretty sure I had tried it because on my last ship the other chiefs would call me “psychedelic chief”.

Just for the record… I like rock-and-roll. Actually I like most types of music, but rock is by far my favorite. When I got to my last ship I was a navy Chief Petty Officer. As such, I lived with all the other chiefs in the chief’s quarters, which had it’s own lounge, dining room and berthing. The lounge was equipped with a tv and a stereo system. Chiefs are traditionally “old salts” that drink beer, chew tobacco, and listen to country music EXCLUSIVELY. So, you can imagine their reaction when I settled in and the first evening I had a shot at the stereo I put on stuff like Pink Floyd, Janice Joplin and Joan Jett. From that moment on I was dubbed “Chief Punk Rock” (sounds kind of Native American, now that I think of it). THAT’s the story. Not “psychedelic chief”. Don’t know where that came from.

Speaking of KenEllie, Linda and I have been over to their place a couple of times now and have taken a liking to their Tazo Chai tea. They are going to Jacksonville, FLA today to attend the pinning ceremony for Ellie’s brother who made CPO. Linda and I were supposed to watch Tinkle-bot for them while they were gone. You know, stop in at night and make sure she has food and water and maybe sit and play with her a bit while having a cup of tea. Well, turns out that Ellie’s aunt is going to cat-sit, instead, and I can only surmise that we’re not to be trusted to not drink all the tea?!? I get the hint. My feelings aren’t hurt…

Love and God’s blessings to everyone!

10 comments:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Chief Punk Rock - I like it!!! Good thing they didn't try to give you a "chief punk rock" haircut!!!

H1 said...

I have no youngest brother!

Hannah said...

I have said it once and I will restate for those not paying attention, "you can't tell a Herrick nothing."

Nothing. Ever.

H1 said...

For the record, it was the "Mind Alteration In Progress" sign they made you. I don't know where the “psychedelic chief” comment came from. Maybe Kenny needs to be drug tested.

Hannah said...

Do it! Test him!

Anonymous said...

Pfft....whatever :)

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Open doghouse, insert Kenellie!

Deacon Dean said...

I forgot all about the "mind alteration in progress" sign!! Hahaha. That takes me back!

Hannah said...

Forgot eh? They say smoking too much of that stuff will do that.

Hmmm ....

Anonymous said...

As long as you didn't inhale, it's OK...right???

Big J