August 15, 2008

H1 WILL UNDERSTAND THIS!

Well, I'm frustrated. My laptop has been acting kind of funny for a couple of weeks, but in the last three to four days it's performance has deteriorated to where I can't do anything. After running all kinds of virus detection software and utilities, I finally had to throw in the towel and do a "Symantec Restore". This is BAD!! It resets the computer to the state it was in when first purchased. All software that had been installed subsequent to that was gone. All of the "garbage" that came with it was back (ads, temporary licenses to try different software), all the stuff that it took hours to REMOVE last time, now has to be removed AGAIN!!.

I lost 3 years of emails. I save almost everything, from friends, family, online purchases and bill paying. All gone!! Thankfully most of my "data" is stored on external hard drives and wasn't lost. I need to figure out how to get my emails off the "C" drive and onto one of the externals.

The good news is that it appears to be running well again. I've already installed my Microsoft Office 2007 products. Now I'm updating the anti-virus software. Then its on to installing all the drivers and other programs that were installed over the last 2 to 3 years.

Please offer a quick prayer to St. Isidore of Seville, patron saint of computers, computer users, programmers, etc., that this situation won't need to be repeated anytime soon!!

Big J, Dr Bob mentioned that you are already in NC. Let's do lunch when you're back in town for closing!!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

OUCH! Sorry to hear that.

H1 said...

I have definitely felt that pain. Sorry to hear this. I hope the garbage uninstall doesn't too long.

We miss you guys.