August 22, 2008

MISCELLANEOUS (A)MUSINGS

When I suggested a brief respite, little did I know just HOW brief!! I got an email yesterday from my Eucharistic Theology professor with the assigned readings to prepare for the first class, which is Saturday, August 30th. Two of the assigned readings come from the SUMMA THEOLOGICA by, who else, St. Thomas Aquinas! Good times are ahead.

I’m gradually developing a list of Catholic websites (blogs) that I frequent, some of which are listed under my “Catholic Favorites”. Try them out, you might be surprised at what you find!!

It’s kind of interesting to follow the progress, or lack thereof, of the implementation of Summorum Pontificum. Often the argument for the Novus Ordo (the Mass of Paul VI, the post-Vatican II Mass) is the “inclusiveness” that it provides. Yet those who use that argument often are strongly opposed to the re-introduction of the Traditional Latin Mass which, at least to me, is an inclusive gesture of Holy Mother Church to include those who are more comfortable with the Mass in the extraordinary form.

I must admit that, having been a convert to Catholicism in the early 70’s, I have not experienced the TLM other than as part of my recent class on Liturgy and Sacraments, and that was without music of any kind. I have attended the Novus Ordo Mass celebrated in Latin, as well as in Italian, and some dialects of Uganda. I found much comfort in the fact that, although I didn’t necessarily understand the words, I always knew exactly what was going on and what part of the Mass was being celebrated.

Another observation I might make is that the Novus Ordo Mass in many instances has led to liturgical abuses that are much more obvious when celebrated “in the vernacular”. With the exception mainly of the Homily, Eucharistic prayer and music selections, the Mass should be virtually the same, no matter where it is attended. Personal experience attests to the fact that this is NOT the case! Many priests do not “Say the black, and do the red”. As a former pastor used to say to me, “The Church has a beautiful liturgy. The people are ENTITLED TO IT!” (emphasis mine).

Here’s an idea worth considering.

There are many members of our diaconate community in need of prayers. Please include them with your own personal intentions.

Big J closed on his house today. He and Mrs. J are now officially living in North Carolina. Best of luck to them both!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greek!!!I now need to drink copias amounts of Belgian Ale just to get close to understanding what you said.

Love Ya,

Major (Heathen) Dad

Hannah said...

I'm so glad it wasn't just me!!

Yeh, what Chia said.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dean for all you do! Janet and I look forward to seeing y'all in North Carolina. It's really pretty!!!

Big J and Mrs. Big J