February 27, 2009

I HOPE YOU LIKE*

*the new background for Lent. It depicts Jesus' temptation in the desert.

Bridget wanted Outback for her birthday dinner, so the family gathered there yesterday evening. Not in attendance were H1/DIL1 who were back in Houston, and KenEllie who were returning from visiting Ellie's brother's family. All were missed!

Dinner was delicious, as usual. Afterward we went back to MD/DLG's house for cake and ice cream, and BB opened her gifts. She seemed especially pleased by her new Girl Scout camping set, and her book about fairies.

I'd like to ask for prayers for my sister, S-2, who is going through some trying health issues at the moment. Please add her to your prayer lists! Many thanks!!

For those of you who are having trouble sleeping, a quick update on the progress of my studies. I'm struggling with St. Augustine's De Trinitate (The Trinity) which is about, you guessed it, the Trinity. Here's a sample: "This is good and that is good. Take away this and that and see good itself if you can. In this way you will see God, not good with some other good, but the good of every good." The whole book is like that!! Aarrrgggghhhhh!! But, it's all good! Tomorrow we get to discuss it in class. Hopefully I'll come away with a better understanding. We shall see.

And now for something completely different!! (Everyone who went to sleep during the last paragraph can wake up now).

What's for Dinner on Friday?

Today, we had planned to have crawfish and corn soup with a salad at one of my personal favorite restaurants, New Orleans Food and Spirits, or as we like to call it, NOFS. What we actually had was Teryaki grilled salmon (Linda) and "Swamp Pasta" which is basically shrimp in a light alfredo sauce over angel hair pasta (me). To that we did add a cup of crawfish corn soup for each of us. Yummmmy!! Our plans for supper are fried catfish at our parish Knights of Columbus council's Lenten fish fry.

It's all so good it hardly seems like a sacrifice at all. Some say the seafood is SO good in New Orleans that we Catholics should HAVE to eat meat on Fridays during Lent. For some that would be the true sacrifice!!

Well, back to St. Augustine. Take care and God bless!!

6 comments:

Hannah said...

I miss the KC fish fry, we used to have so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

Your "good this and good that" sounds like my nursing theory book. It's the knowing of knowing that explains the knowledge that knowing is important in nursing theory. Philosophy is another name for people doing drugs and then writing a book and calling it a philosophy!...Mags

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

zzzzzzzzzzzz.....what? seafood? Yum!!

Seriously, you make philosophy funny - how awesome is that?!

BigJ said...

NOFS! I really miss that place, especially the crawfish and corn soup. Think you could ship me a quart? Guess I better learn how to make it at home.

Big J

H1 said...

You New Orleans Catholics have it too easy. I quit wasting my time ordering seafood in Houston. They always seem to leave out the main ingredient, flavor!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the request for prayer on my behalf. It worked!! My tests all came back negative! Big sigh...bigger smile ;-)