April 15, 2009

START SPREADING THE NEWS


I know I should have been working, but... I just HAD to watch at least the beginning of the installation Mass of Archbishop Timothy Dolan as the new leader of the 2.5 million Catholics of the Archdiocese of New York! I watched for about 1 1/2 hours, until he finished his homily. It was AMAZING, uplifting, challenging, inspiring (is that the same as uplifting? No, I don't think so).

I confess that I frequently get discouraged by the lack of faith of so many "Catholics" today, and by the ease with which they choose to ignore the teachings of the Magisterium, yet call themselves "devout" and "faithful".

I am, however, blessed and encouraged by the people I've met in my classes at OLHCC. They are bright, motivated, and faithful. I cannot help but be impressed and inspired by their focus and dedication to the Church.

And as I follow the actions and reactions of our nation's Catholic bishops as they finally begin to speak out as one voice to teach the truth of our faith, I once again find reason to be encouraged. In doing so they are helping us restore pride in and, as is a focus of Pope Benedict's pontificate, revitalize our Catholic identity

Archbishop Dolan's magnificent homily was a shining example of what the Church is about and why we have hope. I believe the Catholics of New York have been given a wonderful gift by Pope Benedict, and I pray that the new Archbishop of NY will have a long and fruitful tenure as their shepherd.

I pray that God will bless and guide Archbishop Dolan and that he receives his "red hat" (as cardinal) sooner, rather than later!

No comments: