April 12, 2010

A FRIEND IS LEAVING THE CHURCH...

and I am truly saddened by it.  I asked him, "If, as a Catholic, you believe in the Real Presence, that Jesus Christ is truly present, body and blood, soul and divinity in the Holy Eucharist, then how can you leave the Church for a faith community that doesn't believe?  And, if you don't believe it, then perhaps you have already left."

"Then many of his disciples who were listening said, "This saying is hard; who can accept it?"
Since Jesus knew that his disciples were murmuring about this, he said to them, "Does this shock you?
What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But there are some of you who do not believe." Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe and the one who would betray him. And he said, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father."
As a result of this, many (of) his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.
Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?"
Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God."" John 6:60 - 68

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was your friend's response to your question?
...Mags

Deacon Dean said...

On Friday he said, "that's a good point." Today he said, "We are joining the Methodist church on April 24th."

I did use his situation as an opportunity to talk about Catholic identity in my homily this week. Linda said it was pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Well at least he's not turning away from God. Tell him to read Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn. I thought that book was fabulous....Mags

Erin Manning said...

Will pray for your friend.

Sara Aimee said...

As a United Methodist, I have to comment. We are all one in Christ Jesus. We all worship the same God. Why is it a cause for sadness if your friend is choosing a different way to worship the same God you do? When I take communion, it is no less moving and powerful to me whether I believe that the bread and wine truly are the body and blood of Jesus or not. Is that really something that separates us?
I hope not. <3

Deacon Dean said...

Sara,
I'm not ignoring your comment. It requires a thoughtful response, not a flippant or gut-reaction response, so I am working on it.
Love you!!

Sara Aimee said...

I love you, too!