May 11, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR DAUGHTER. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

I didn’t realize just how badly I’ve been slacking off until I checked the date of my last post. Mea culpa!! (that’s “My bad!!” in the Extraordinary Form)

This post will probably take me forever to finish, I guess because I’m feeling OLD today. It’s my daughter’s 40th birthday! And so she writes on HER blog just how OLD she feels, which of course is like saying, “Gee, Pops, I’m old, so YOU must be ANCIENT!!” Thanks, so much, daughter dearest!! And Happy Birthday to YOU!!!

Still working on wedding plans for Dean and Brenda. July seems to be looming on the horizon. So far everything is going about as smoothly as any wedding prep, I’d imagine. Our biggest glitch (ok, MY biggest glitch) is what to do about a rehearsal dinner. Del Rio is a SMALL town in Texas. We are trying to set up a dinner to accommodate somewhere around 50 people. The closest we came was a place that could do 25, but that would be “pushing it.”

The bride’s parents, who are wonderful people, have offered their home as the location for the rehearsal dinner. Now I’m struggling with what to serve, who will prepare, etc. Initially I thought perhaps a good old-fashioned New Orleans shrimp boil. We did that for Patti’s wedding and it worked well. But that would involve transporting fresh shrimp or trying to cook frozen shrimp without it getting overcooked and difficult to peel. Not insurmountable problems, still… Then the Deepwater Horizon went down in the Gulf and fishing waters are being closed daily. There may not be any shrimp to purchase come July!! And crawfish season is well over by then, so no option there.

Other thoughts bouncing around in my head…

Spiedies? Not too difficult to do AND there will be other spiedie “experts” there who I might be able to talk into lending a hand. This option has the additional upside of answering the question that so many have asked recently, “What is a spiedie”?

Also under consideration is having a local restaurant prepare New Orleans’ red beans and rice, gumbo, and jambalaya for 50 and transporting/reheating in Del Rio.

Maybe I’ll just print a map to the nearest Mickey D’s and have everyone meet there!

Stay tuned!!

3 comments:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I still like the idea of making people eat in shifts, LOL!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Hannah said...

Happy birthday Patti!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe order LOTS of cold cuts and bread at the Del Rio major grocery store and picking it up and put it out on the table (at someone's house or hotel lobby)...make your own. Order a fruit tray and a cake and there you go!.....Auntie M