Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

December 9, 2010


So much to be thankful for, and so little time!!

A week ago Wednesday evening I was studying for a final exam for a theology class I'm taking, when my wife, Linda, came into the room and said that H1, who lives in Houston, had been in a motorcycle accident.  Details were scarce, but first indications were a broken ankle, broken hip, possible spinal injury and perhaps internal damage, as well.

Prayers were said, prayer requests were sent out via FB, email, phone, etc.  H2, along with DLG, started making plans to go to Houston to be with H1/DIL1.  I decided to go along, too.

By Thursday night (prayers already efficacious) it had been determined that the ankle was not broken, and there was no injury to the spine!!  Still some concern about internal injury so the surgery on the hip was delayed while more tests were done.  Ultimately it was determined that H1 had shattered the ball of the femur of his right leg, and cracked the pelvic socket.  The surgeons used a metal plate and screws to piece the ball back together.  This was instead of doing a complete hip replacement, since H1 is fairly young and healthy.

On Friday H1 drove DLG and I to Houston.  KenEllie drove also, and were at the hospital when we arrived, early that evening.  H1 had been through the surgery, and was already sitting up in his bed looking quite good, under the circumstances.  So good, in fact, that he was released and sent home around noon on Saturday!  Wow!!

KenEllie drove back to NOLA with DLG on Saturday.  H1 and I stayed in Houston until Monday.  On Monday we crossed paths with Linda, who is in Houston this week, helping with H1 and enabling DIL1 to return to work.

We have been offering prayers of thanksgiving all week long.  This ordeal could have had such a different outcome.  Six to eight weeks of crutches and rehab is nothing compared to what might have been!!

Many, MANY thanks to all who prayed to long and hard for H1 and DIL1 and all the family!!  We are truly blessed with wonderful family and friends who have given us much needed emotional and spiritual support.  We love you all!!  God bless you!

Labels: , ,

Links to this post

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Blogger BigJ said...

Ah...the power of prayer is a wonderful thing!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Louisiana Rose said...

You said it Big J. As the prayers went out the injuries lessened. Amazing!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Sara Aimee said...

Prayer works!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home