April 28, 2011

I OBJECT, YOUR HONOR!! (OVERRULED!!)

It's finally here, the last day of jury duty!!  It has made for a long month.  The ritual of arriving, checking in, sitting in the jurors' lounge for hours on end waiting to be called, the anticipation/trepidation as names are called (will I be called?  why are they calling a jury at 2PM?), going up stairs to stand in line outside the courtroom, then being herded (yes, like cattle) into the courtroom only to sit for another hour as the judge and various lawyers and defendents go through the motions of "clearing the docket" until it's actually time to sit a jury, all combine to make for a very long and very stressful day.

Easter was pretty awesome!  As I have almost every year, I sang the Exultet at the Easter Vigil. Nobody complained, and noone jumped up and ran out of the church holding their hands over their ears, so I guess that was a good sign.  The only glitch was when I stumbled at the foot of the sanctuary while holding a cup of the Precious Blood.  Struggling to not spill any, I went down pretty hard.  I'm sure the building shook, and the walls swayed as I landed... but I didn't spill a drop!!! 

Easter Sunday we had a very nice dinner with family gathered either in person, or via the internet!  H1/DIL1 were linked in via computer, although no sound made for a very interesting meal time.  The grandkids LOVED it!  Dinner was good and we had, in addition to family, Bob and Joan, friends from when I was stationed on the USS Moosbrugger who are now retired and travelling the States in a camper, and Matt, a coworker of H2, with NOPD.  We did miss H2FGFNW (former girlfriend, now wife) who had to work. But we made her a full plate which she had as soon as she got off.  Everything was delish (thanks, Major Dad, for the awesomely awesome deviled eggs!!) and I think everyone had more than enough to eat. 

It's after 10AM, so they should start calling for juries soon.  A very Happy Easter Season to you all!!  Christ is Risen!!

1 comment:

BigJ said...

Just wanted to let you know I still read your posts. I bet you were quite a sight when you hit the deck trying to protect the holy blood!

Congratulations on making through the entire month without being selected for a jury. I've had jury duty once since we moved up here, but didn't get selected.

Take care and stay cool!