Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

April 22, 2011


Jury duty is just that, a duty!!  Boring, boring, boring!!  It wouldn't be so bad if I were picked each day to at least go to the jury pool and watch the lawyers do their stuff... but waiting in the jury lounge is almost painful... ok, it IS painful.  Thankfully, only two more days, and I rearranged my schedule so next Wednesday and Thursday are jury days.  Then I should be safe for at least two or three years!

Yesterday H2, MD and I took a L-O-N-G bike ride.  It was the annual Law Enforcement Appreciation Day, held by the Pat Taylor Foundation at the Circle Bar Ranch in Mississippi.  The GPS said it was a three hour trip, but add to that a couple of gas stops, one of the cops' motorcycle battery died on the way, and it took a wee bit longer than expected.  Once we got there, most everything had pretty muched wrapped up. We had missed all the good food, so we were all pretty hungry.  After having a quick soda and looking around a bit, we headed to Nells Grill, a place I found via the GPS that was only 4 miles from the ranch.  Oh, and did I mentioned that the sky had darkened considerably about the time we arrived, and most of the other riders had hightailed it out of there?  So naturally, our luck being what it is, we were .8 miles from the restaurant when the rain hit.  We were soaked by the time we arrived. 

Nells (that's the way it is spelled, no apostrophe) Grill turned out to be a tiny little place way out in the boonies, but it was clean, the people (looked like a grandmother, mom and daughter where working) were friendly and, I don't know if it was just because we were so hungry, the food was delicious!  Big ol' greasy burgers, with the buns warmed on the skillet, fried dill pickles, french fries, corn poppers (little fritters), it was all good!  We sat and talked and ate while the storm passed, then headed for home, taking it slow on the wet roads and gradually speeding up as they dried out.

With the long trip up, the rain delay, and then the ride back, I barely made it to church for the 7pm Mass for Holy Thursday.  I was still in my bike boots and jeans when I vested for the service.  It was all good, though, and everything went smoothly.  A long day, after all, but in a very satisfying way.

Today I wore the same shirt I had on on April 1st, and took the same route I had taken then.  I have to admit to some butterflies in my stomach as I approached the overpass where I went down on the Shadow.  The Valk was as sure-footed as ever, and got me to work with no problem!!

Next up... EASTER!!!  Yeah, Baby!  That's what it's all about!! Wishing you all the happiest and holiest Easter as we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord!!


Post a Comment

<< Home