October 21, 2006

DIAMONDS ON THE SOLES OF HER SHOES

What do the former queen of France and a pair of basketball shoes have in common? "Why, nothing" you might say, and until Thursday evening last I would have agreed with you. But then L and I went with KenEllie to see "Marie Antoinette" starring Kirsten Dunst. In one scene, Marie and her royal girlfriends were apparently squandering the French fortune on candies, cakes and clothing, notably fancy shoes of every style and color... including one pair of powder blue Converse All Stars! Not a mistake, these were carefully placed in the scene.

The movie itself was interesting, though without any substance. It gives a look into what might have been the pampered life of royalty in 18th Century France. It did succeed in one of its goals, that of making Marie Antionette out to be more misunderstood than the evil witch she has been portrayed in history.

The movie alluded to the troubles of the poor French populace, but they were never shown, until the end as a riotuous crowd at Versailles. A better balance between French Royalty and common Frenchmen would have made for a better, in my humble opinion, movie. And seeing it through to the bitter end, that of the beheading of MA would have not left the ending so open and unsatisfying.

So there you have it. My two-cent movie critique. Do with it what you will, but if you pay to see the movie... it was NOT my fault. I personally think it's a "wait until it comes out on DVD" movie.

Linda returns tomorrow to Memphis for one week. We will all miss her. Not just me, but Patti, Bridget and Molly, too. Grandmoms really come in handy when the littlest one needs to be held while Mom catches a nap, or the middle child needs some encouragement and a little extra TLC.

H2's vehicle is FILTHY!!! He needs to wash it, especially around the tailgate/trailer hitch area.

I think I've figured out that if it weren't for the long lines in stores and restaurants, the increase of population both human and vehicular in Algiers and the West Bank, and the unusual increase in Hispanics, and the plethora of out of state license plates, mostly on pickup trucks pulling trailers, New Orleans would seem pretty normal to me. My daily travels rarely took me to New Orleans East, or the Lower Ninth Ward, or to St. Bernard Parish (not since the boys graduated from Holy Cross High School), so really, the only place of devastation that I pass through frequently is the Lakeview subdivision and Lakeshore Drive in New Orleans. And, although I was initially, and occasionally still, struck by the amount of devastation, I find myself having to consciously look around and "see" what is still there, or not there, or is different. I think the abnormal has become a normal part of my life, and I often don't even notice anymore. Oh, I see the workmen and the vacant lots where homes once stood, but the impact of all the still empty shells of homes has diminished over time. I can't help wondering how the rest of America and the world can stay in touch with our neediness when someone who lives in or around it every day can become almost immune to it.

Just a quick note to all my children, children-in-laws, grandchildren and "adopted" children to let them know that Linda and I love them and think of them, and PRAY for them, each and every day. Our lives are so much richer and fullfilled with you all a part of it. My personal prayer is that the God who has been SO GENEROUS to Linda and I by allowing us to be in your lives, will wrap you in His loving care and open your hearts to receive His boundless Love.

And finally, to all my family and friends who read this lame attempt at entertainment, we send to you also our love and prayers for God's continued blessings on you and your families. God Bless You!!

2 comments:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Yes, I'll probably wait until it's out on DVD, but it did look like an interesting movie. I miss Mom already...boo hoo...I'm glad you're in our lives. We love you both.

Anonymous said...

I love you both and the Herrick crew as well. I even expressed to H2 today that, the Herricks make it easy to love them and to feel loved as well. You both are SO GENEROUS as well and I am very fortunate that you've both come into my life ... as well as the rest of your family. Thank-you for all that you do!