Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

October 10, 2007


Let's see what's been going on. Monday, as you know, was Columbus Day. A federal holiday for us civil servants out there. Looking forward to a nice day off? RIGHT!

Don't you know that at around 9:30 AM I realize that, once again, my knuckles are feeling stiff and sore. I knew immediately that it was NOT a good sign. by 10:00 AM I was shaking like a leaf. Couldn't hold a drink without spilling. Couldn't stop shaking. By 10:30 Linda and I are on our way to Ochsner ER.

The ER took me in right away, drew blood, found that I had a temp of 102, gave me Tylenol for the temp, and had me lie down and wait for the doctor. When he came in he decided I had a sinus infection and sent me for a chest xray and a sinus CT scan. Both were done within about 1/2 hour. Amazing how quickly I was being tended to! Right. About 3 hours later another doctor came in to say that I did appear to have a sinus infection, and sent me home with a prescription for an antibiotic (augmentin xl, or something like that).

Went home. Started the meds. A couple of hours later I started to feel achy and shivery again, so I went to bed at 5PM and slept until 10PM. Got up and had a bowl of cereal (small) and took some more medicine.

The next morning (yesterday) I still felt like crap. Linda noticed that my right leg (the infamous right leg) was hot to the touch compared to my left. Now she's upset. She decides I need to be on zyvox which, fortunately, I still have. So I start taking zyvox and quit the augmentin. As the day goes on my leg seems to be getting darker and darker red, but it's still not swollen, so I'm not TOO worried.

Today Linda says I'm going to the doctor, so I get up and go in to work. I can maybe get some work done while she tries to get me in to see my IDD. (An aside... for as little confidence as I could dig up for any of the IDDs that were involved with H2, I have developed complete confidence in my IDD at Ochsner). A-a-a-nyway, IDD says to come in for an IV. So off we go.
After about an hour in the waiting room (not bad for being "squeezed in") I get into an exam room. The IDD comes in, takes one look at my now swollen and bright red leg and immediately utters that hated word, "HOSPITAL". I pleaded with her to not admit me, that my leg was only swollen because I had been at work all morning. That REALLY set her off! "WHAT!?! YOU WENT TO WORK?!?!" She finally agreed to pump me up with an IV antibiotic, and send me home on zyvox again, with the caveat that I was to see her tomorrow and again Friday, when she would decide whether or not I would be back in the hospital again.

So now I feel like a three-time loser of the Triple Crown. And today is just a GORGEOUS day! Tonight will be fabulous at the Pit Stop, crowded, I'm sure. I've got to get this beat before the end of the month. I've got a preaching weekend the last weekend in October, and hopefully a trip to visit H1/DIL1 in Houston the first weekend in November.

Oh, the good news (yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus) is that the hole in my leg is closed. It has been officially declared healed by my IDD! So, that's good.

So now I'm gonna be selfish and ask for continued prayers for me, that this infection gets nipped in the bud quickly and completely.

That's about it... probably much, MUCH more than you needed or wanted to know. If you got this far, thanks, and God bless you!!

Links to this post

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Blogger Hannah said...

So sorry!! You have just got to get better soon, not to be selfish for the ride, but we all need you happy and healthy. Like really, I mean gosh.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous KenEllie said...

Prayer warriors have been notified and are on the move!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Hmmm...maybe it's time for a novena. I'll have to look into that. Can I pay someone to do that or do I have to do it myself? (just kidding)

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home