May 24, 2008

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

I have been remiss. I with to extend KUDOS to H1! When he and DIL1 were here over Mother's Day weekend he took a look at my home computer setup. I had a desktop (Linda's) set up in the front room, a laptop in the "green room" (formerly H2's bedroom and now my office) and a laptop in the "blue room" (currently H2's personal space). My cable modem is in the front room. I had the modem connected to a router, with outputs going to the blue room and to ChiaMom's desktop. I also had a wireless router in both the blue room and the front room, so anywhere in the house the laptops had wifi access.
From the wireless router in the blue room I also ran a connection to the green room so all 3 PCs in the house had broadband connections.

If you've been counting, that's one cable modem, one broadband router, and two wireless routers in the mix.

H2 had been experiencing some performance issues. (With his COMPUTER!! Get those minds out of the gutter!!!) H1 determined that I had incorrectly set up my home "network" so the wireless routers were conflicting with each other. He spent the better part of a day working on it, but when he finished the configuration was now one cable modem, and two wireless routers (one working as an access point) and NO broadband router. So we eliminated one possible POF (point of failure). Not only that, but now I am able to share printers and hard drives between the various PCs, so the home "network" really is a network!!

Thanks to H1. It's working great!!

4 comments:

H1 said...

You're very welcome. I'm glad everything turned out right. And glad to hear that the sharing (printing and such) is also working properly.

Can't wait to visit again!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Okay, so basically I read "blah, blah, blah, computer, blah...thanks H1!!!"

Deacon Dean said...

That's right!! And I wrote this just for you and DIL2. 'Cause I know how much you like to read the "tekkie" stuff!!

Anonymous said...

When can H1 come up to PA and perform miracles for me, too!!