May 18, 2009

C-E-L-E-B-R-A-T-E GOOD TIMES, COME ON!!

What a weekend!!! I'm getting too old for this!

Wednesday evening saw the arrival of the H2GF's parents, Bob and Irma, who came in for H2's graduation ceremony.

Thursday Linda and I spent some time with B&I and H2GF, starting with a late breakfast at IHOP. Then we ran errands in preparation for the next day's festivities.

Friday began bright and early with the badge pinning ceremony in front of Tulane University's McAllister Auditorium at 8am. The day was sunny and HOT, and the recruits were dressed in their long-sleeved shirts and ties, with bullet proof vests underneath. It had to be miserable!! Then at 9 the graduation ceremony began inside the auditorium. The ceremony lasted about 1 1/2 hours. Mayor Nagin and Councilwoman Cynthia Hedges-Morrell spoke. H2's friend Kenelly gave an address representing Recruit class 163 that was excellent!

After graduation Linda and I, H2, H2GF and B&I tried to go to lunch together, but after Corky's turned out to be closed for remodeling, Outback closed until 4PM, Linda and I headed home to finish up pre-crawfish boil errands. Unfortunately, the heat of the morning ceremonies and the lack of anything to eat triggered an especially severe migraine which took me out of commission for several hours.

The life savers that afternoon were Linda, H1/DIL1, Big Boy, and Major Dad. Linda and H1/DIL1 picked up all the slack and ran errands, picked up the crawfish (158 pounds!!) and helped with setup and preparations. Big Boy (Justin) and Major Dad boiled the mudbugs, which were perfection!!

Several of the newly sworn in officers were in attendance and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. It was especially great to have the whole family, H1/DIL1, H2/H2GF, KenEllie, Major Dad/DLG and family all together.

At one point in the evening, H2 surprised H2GF by dropping down on one knee and whipping out a little white jewelry box which contained an engagement ring. He asked her to marry him, and after a few moments of shock, surprise, tears welling up, she said "Yes"... well, technically she said, "Si", but you get the drift.

Saturday noon I had the privilege of baptizing little Charlie Dustin Farina, KenEllie's nephew. Then I had preaching duty at 5 o'clock Mass. After Mass we all (Linda and I, H1/DIL1, H2/H2F (fiancé, formerly GF), B&I, DLG and Major Dad, Ian, BB and Molly-moo went to Fujihana's for hibachi and sushi, along with a good bit of plum wine and hot saki!! Excellent!!

Sunday we said goodbye to B&I as they headed back home to TX. I preached again at 8am Mass. After Mass Linda and I, H2/H2F, and H1/DIL1 went to IHOP for breakfast, after which we had to say goodbye to H1/DIL1 as they, too, headed home to TX. At noon, another baptism, then the weekend was pretty much over.

Thank God for Mondays!! H2 is currently spending his first day on the job. I'm looking forward to getting home to hear how it went.

Thanks to everyone for their support, kind words, and best wishes for H2 and H2F. I'm sure I'll be keeping everyone posted as things progress...

In the mean time, may God continue to bless you all.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I was home sick today. I can't believe you weren't looking forward to getting home to see how it went.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Great weekend!!!

Cris said...

CELEBRATE!