June 13, 2011

WHY DON'T I EVER LEARN?

You'd think after watching (and waiting... waiting... waiting) season after season of Sopranos, then True Blood, and now Game of Thrones that I would learn.  I get hooked, I can't wait for the next episode, then all too soon the season ends!  Watching as GoT heated up last night, then a preview of the season FINALE!!!  Argh!!

Did I mention my second career as a student?  I've managed to stretch what should be a 4 year (max) program into 10+ years trying to get my Masters.  Theoretically the course I'm currently enrolled in (Faith and Science) is the last one I need to fulfill the course requirements.  I still need to take the comprehensive exams in the 4 areas, so it looks like next May should (it had better!!) wrap it up!

Summer came early to NOLA this year with record temperatures in April and May, almost no rain to speak of until last week.  We've finally settled into the summer routine of scattered afternoon showers and thunderstorms that are so common this time of year.  Still, we're looking at highs in the upper 90s for the next several days.

Driving by the Lakefront everyday going to work is a treat.  It is always a beautiful drive, but with the lake being a few feet higher than normal because of the spillway being opened it is even more striking.

It's hard to believe that almost 6 years have passed since Katrina.  So much has happened and yet so much remains to be done.  We still have hundreds of abandoned or partially restored homes in the city.  Businesses and services are still in the process of returning to many areas.  It's a long, sometimes painful process, one that so many more communities are facing because of the flooding of the Mississippi river and some of its tributaries.

Finally, if you are an X-Men fan and haven't seen X-Men: First Class, you're missing what may be the best movie out of all the X-Men movies.  If you do go see it, watch for some interesting cameos!!

Take care and God bless!!!

No comments: