December 1, 2007

SCATTER SHOT*

*This is NOT directed at anyone in particular other than myself!

After reading H1's post about inconsiderate people (to which I heartily agree, mind you) it got me to thinking that being inconsiderate really permeates our society today. And one of the root culprits is cellphones.

Now I'm the first to admit that I feel naked without my cell phone, and I'm also guilty to that of which I'm about to complain. The cell phone, boon to mankind, is also bane to man"kind". And bluetooth has made it even worse!!

Have you ever been in the middle of a conversation with a group of people and had one of them stop and take a phone call? No "Excuse me, I need to answer this", no "I'll get this later"? Or how about the person in the crowded elevator or in a public place like a store or restaurant wearing a headset and talking, loudly, as if they are alone in their own home? Drowning out everyone else? Or worse, airing their dirty laundry as if no one else can hear them? Of course there are always those phones that go off in church, or at the movies! I promise I will try to be more considerate of those I am with from now on.

As I think about it, I think it actually started with "call waiting". You know, the little "beep" in the phone that tells you someone is trying to call in? How did/do we react to that? We say, "Would you hold on a minute, please? Some one's beeping in." OK. So we're kind of polite by asking the other person to hold on, but actually we're saying "You're time is not so important to me that I won't stop and see if this other call is more important, or at least someone I would RATHER talk to." And I do it all the time without a second thought.

I think H1 hit it on the head. Our society today is an "It's all about ME" society. "I" can't be inconvenienced by the extra 30 seconds it takes to get through the toll booth in the lane I'm in, so I'll just force my way into the lane next to me, or I'll get into the toll tag only lane because it's moving faster, then I'll cut over to another toll lane at the last minute. Holding up the lane I'm in, of course, until I can force my way over.

OK. Rant, rant, rant. I just had to get that off my chest. After all, it's all about ME, right?

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Amen Chia!! My favorite call waiting individual is the one who puts you on hold, completes their conversation with the other person and gets upset when you hang up after five minutes. I aint got time for all that (and neither does anyone else)! Great post.

Unknown said...

I agree wholeheartedly about the cell phones and bluetooth devices. That's why I had no problem signing the contract with Jen when she gave me a BT for my birthday. It will be confiscated if I ever wear it out in public and actually talk to someone on it! :) The drivers that talk on their cell phone is a new pet peeve of mine.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your post as well. I have actually put some distance between my cellphone and myself. When I go to work, it stays in the car. I use it only on the way home from work if I find myself getting tired and need to call Mom or Sis to talk me home.
If I go out to eat now, I leave the phone in the car or leave it on "silence", not to disturb those surrounding me.

I find myself making an attempt to do better.