February 1, 2008

"Having resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die"*

* -- Malachy McCourt... I think this quote is right ON!! (borrowed from The Anchoress)

I have moved, once again! Twice within a three week period. I love being moved around like a pawn on a chess board.

As the project I was working on for the past 4-5 years ended, I was approached by the manager of another project and asked if I would like to work there. Having been weighing my options for some time, I did indicate that I was not averse to working for this person. About a week later I was notified that I was being assigned to this new project. A "move request" was submitted, and I was physically relocated to the new team and began to settle in. That lasted a good 10 days!

I had moved on a Friday. Two weeks later, on Thursday I and my coworkers from the old project were summoned to the Commanding Officer's office where we were told that a new "Navy team" was being formed that would rejoin the DOD personnel/pay system project that the Navy had opted out of over a year ago. He also said that I, along with two other team members would be going to this new Navy team.

So, today I finished moving to my new location. The plus is that I'm in the same building as Linda. The minus is that the MOST EXCELLENT coffee mess to which I belong is located in my old building. I'll manage to deal with that somehow. Also, as yet I have no supervisor, nor do I have a job description. I'm the only one who has completed the move, so I'm here alone with basically all the time in the world on my hands, and nothing to do but try to think of ways to entertain you, my loyal readers and friends!

Tonight begins the big parade countdown to Fat Tuesday. Tonight is filled with parades, to which are added those that were cancelled yesterday due to the weather. Tomorrow the "super krewes" begin their assault on the city. Endymion on Saturday, then Bacchus on Sunday and Orpheus on Lundi Gras. What a line up!

I think I've finally whipped the cold or virus that had me in its grip for so many weeks. Thank, GOD!!! It was miserable! I hope this season of illness passes quickly and with as little impact as possible on you and your families.

Here's a note for H1 and all those who love his tech-ie posts. I had to log out of my workstation this morning to have it moved from building 4, my old building, to building 2, my new building. We use "CAC" cards to access our system, via a "CAC" reader in the keyboard. When we fired up my workstation at the new location, everything came up, but the CAC reader didn't work. I have a fairly new workstation, so the keyboard was nice and fairly new, and I was the only one who had used it previously. Anyway... the NMCI person (tech-ie) got an old CAC enabled keyboard and plugged that one in. It worked! But it was a pretty old, kind of grimy, the way keyboards tend to get if you don't keep them clean. Pretty "yukky", you know?

I went back to my old building, found a PC that I knew hadn't been used, and took the keyboard. I plugged it in and guess what? It didn't work, either!! But this was just TOO much of a coinkydink for me. I logged in using the old keyboard, and googled drivers for the new one. I reinstalled the drivers for an RT7D60 keyboard, and voilá!! It works! Now I have a nice, fairly new, and CLEAN keyboard again. I'm as happy as a pig in poop!

So, there you have it. I'm hoping to go to a couple of movies this weekend while others brave the cold and crowds. If you're from NOLA, then "laissez bon temps roulez!!". If you aren't from NOLA, then "it sux to be you!" (Just kidding... or am I?)(Yes, I am.)

Take care, happy Mardi Gras, and see ya on the flip side!

2 comments:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

No, you're not kidding. This is a good time to be in NOLA.

Love your quote, I'll have to write it down!

Hannah said...

Love the quote, totally right on! And yes, we miss the pYrades .. thanks for rubbing it in!! hehe