Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

July 15, 2011

Anniversary Trip - Segunda Parte

So, Sunday we leave San Antonio and head to Del Rio, home of H2FGFNW's sister and parents.  We had originally planned to stay at the same La Quinta we stayed at for the wedding last July and dropping in on the In-Laws (ILs).  I dropped them an email letting them know our plans and suggested that it would be great to see them while we were there.  They, however, insisted that we stay with them, which we did.  They are truly the nicest people!!  When we got there, the mom-in-law (M-I-L) (and don't you DARE even TRY to go there!!!) had the makings of a wonderful dinner of chicken enchiladas already on the stove.

Monday morning we were treated to a delicious breakfast of tacos con huevos y cherizo (cherizo sausage and egg tacos).  Linda and M-I-L went to Acuña to do some shopping while I stayed home to study for class the following Saturday.  When they returned, Linda mentioned that many of the shops we had visited are now closed because the tourist activity has decreased dramatically.  Still, she managed to have a good time and even bought herself some new boots!!

For dinner that night we had a delicious roast that father-in-law (F-I-L) had marinated in pineapple juice and M-I-L had cooked, along with red and green HOME MADE salsas (both caliente y más caliente! (hot and hotter)), and chicken empanadas.  Delicious!!!

Tuesday, our anniversary, we started our day with an "American" breakfast of bacon, eggs, and toast.  Keep in mind that M-I-L has been doing all the cooking!!  She is a fabulous cook!!  After breakfast BV took us to the Whitehead Memorial Museum.  It was small, but very interesting with a lot of static displays and exhibits such as an old railroad station, fire engines, an indian cave, different types of barbed wire (literally hundreds!), and the resting place of the "Hangin' Judge" Roy Bean!!!  It was a lot of fun! Thank you, BV, for taking the time to act as our tour guide!!
For lunch we met M-I-L for BBQ at the Hot Pit restaurant in downtown Del Rio. It was quite tasty.  Next was a malted milkshake dessert at the Emporium.  This is a quaint little shop that caters to the wimsical and crafty, as well as having a really nice old timey soda fountain area.  Their milkshakes are delicious!!  BV, Linda and I went straight there, while M-I-L ran an "errand".  When she returned she presented us with a beautiful arrangement of lilies.  They made the trip home and are still in full bloom!

From the Emporium we went to the Val Verde Winery.  It's a local business that has been owned by the same family for over 100 years, and has a citation from the state to prove it!  A young lady there gave us a very pleasant tour which we followed up with some wine tasting.  We ended up purchasing a case of various wines they produce, along with a set of stemless wine glasses.

A visit to Del Rio wouldn't be complete without stopping to say "Hello" to Fr. H. Clay Hunt, III, who said the Mass for H2/H2FGFNW's wedding.  It was both great, and surprising, to see him!  Last year he mentioned that he had a Harley-Davidson.  This year we got to see it, along with his new "look".  Check it out!!
and, from last year for comparison,

After our visit with Fr. Clay we returned home to collect everyone and headed off to the Cripple Creek Steakhouse restaurant for our anniversary dinner.  It was a bit late and F-I-L wasn't able to join us, but M-I-L, BV, and her long-time friend and classmate (LTF) joined us.  It was a great ending to a very nice vacation.  That is, until the wait staff showed up with the sombreros and boa to sing to us!! Thanks, BV!!!

Wednesday dawned bright and too early.  As we prepared to leave M-I-L fixed us our last awesome breakfast of the trip...  omelets!!  Then it was hugs all around, load up the truck (thanks, again H2!!) and head home!

Sadly I had awaken with an awful pain in my lower jaw, so after driving to just past San Antonio I turned over the driving duties to Linda.  Then, to make matters worse, as we drew near Houston the skies opened up and she had to drive through a torrential downpour, during rush hour, through Houston and on toward Beaumont.  But once the rain quit the skies cleared and it was an uneventful ride the rest of the way.

All in all, a great 4th of July, an AWESOME 42nd anniversary, and I cannot say enough how blessed I am to have such a wonderful, loving, caring, giving wife and family. And we are truly blessed to have wonderful children-in-laws and that we get along so well with their parents!!

That's it... I'm dry!!


Blogger Hannah said...

Me = jealous!!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Deacon Dean said...

Don't be jealous. We can get you your very own sombrero to wear if you want!! :-D

12:18 PM  
Anonymous formatie nunti said...

I was in San Antonio two years ago and i was impressed. Unfortunately i had no time to visit around it very well because i was there for only two days, but i hope to visit it again very soon. I recommend this place, it is very nice.

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home