Choose Life

H1, H2, & Big Boy Life on the (L)edge

Begun in the aftermath of Katrina, this blog was a way to keep family and friends updated as the family struggled to return to a semblance of normalcy. Now, more than four years later, the memories are still strong, the family is, to some extent, scattered. However, life did go on, and this is our story.

February 2, 2007


It boggles my mind! Will it NEVER end?

H2 had an appointment with Neurosurgery at Tulane today. They removed half of his staples and said he's looking very good. He goes back next Thursday and they should remove the rest. All in all he's doing very well, I think. He has had NO pain meds since coming home this last time.

Afer returning home, as I was reading my emails, the phone rang and I noticed that it was Tulane. I thought it was probably the doctor calling back about something he forgot to tell us. Turns out, it was IDD1 (see January 17-19 posts). She wants to know which of the IDDs we would like to do follow up with. She also wants to take H2 off one of the IV antibiotics and put him back on two (three?) oral antibiotics that he was on previously. IDD2 had taken him off the orals saying they weren't working, and put him on the two IVs. IDD1 wants to get him off IVs as soon as possible, so two to four weeks of the remaining IV antibiotic and 6 weeks of orals. AAARRRRRGGGGHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Why can't they agree on ANYTHING?!?!?

Oh well. Bright spot in all this is that the antibiotic IDD1 is stopping is the one that H2 is hooked to for 24 hours. So now, except for 2 1/2 hours in the morning and 2 1/2 hours in the evening, he will be totally unhooked and unencumbered to move around.

Tonight the family (sans Houston Herricks) gathers at Eastern restaurant. H2 is has a hankerin' for sushi. It'll be good to get him out and about for something other than going to doctor appointments.

BB and Ian were busy this week. The kids had to write about why they liked their school. BB was selected to get up and read her essay during the school Mass on Wednesday. She was the only kindergartner selected. Today Ian and Linda went to a diocesan-wide Catholic schools Mass, and Ian represented the school when he presented a placque to the Archbishop.

Even as I'm composing this, the phone rang yet again, and it was IDD1 again! She wants to change H2's medicine again, stop his 2nd IV for a few days, and put him on a fluids IV over the weekend to hydrate him. I can hardly wait to see what tomorrow will bring. Oh, tomorrow is weekend, so we probably won't here from IDDs for a couple of days.

Well, gotta go. Ian wants me to bless a cross he gave to H2. Love and hugs to everyone! May you be continually blessed with good health and great friends!!


Post a Comment

<< Home