July 9, 2007

SAY WHA-A-A-A-T?!?!?!?

We survived our 38th wedding anniversary! It got us to thinking about how DLG and H1 are about the same age Linda and I were when we came to New Orleans. That popped a few more gray hairs out!

Right now we're trying to figure out how to get soccer balls to Uganda. One of our friends, Fr. Godfrey Okello, has a need for new soccer balls. Although they can be bought in the major city of Kampala, the quality is not like what we have here. Since I don't play soccer myself, I'm not too sure about how to get them to Fr. Godfrey. Occasionally other priests come to the U.S. on mission appeals, but it is difficult for them to carry back extra items. We're wondering if we can deflate the balls and send them along with a pump. I guess we still need to do a little more research.

An interesting side note: It seems that New Orleans currently holds the dubious distinction of being the "murder capital" of the U.S. It is not uncommon to have 2, 3 or 4 murders in a single 24 hour period. Barely a day goes by that at least one homicide isn't reported. However, for the three days of July 7 - 9, New Orleans was uncharacteristically quiet. No murders. It happens to coincide with the dates of the Essence Festival. So what happened? Did all the potential murderers suddenly go out and get tickets to the festival? Who knows?

I know I'm rambling, but some people tell me they actually READ LOTL, so I feel an obligation to put up something,at least. Especially as my blogging kids are not doing so well at the moment. Probably to excited waiting for the opening of the 5th Harry Potter movie, and the arrival of the 7th and last Harry Potter book.

If you are as old as I am, you might remember Art Linkletter and his TV show which had the spot, "Kids say the darndest things". Some things never change. We went to dinner (truly awesome boiled shrimp) at Major Dad and DLG's house. While we were waiting in the living room, BB stopped what she was doing and asked, "Grandpa, do you have a hog in your pants?". After laughing until tears came to my eyes I said, "No, sweet pea, Grandpa only has a piglet".

The age difference between BB and Ian makes conversations even more interesting. I guess because we have such a "unique" family sense of humor (our dinner conversations are almost legendary), someone will often say something innocently that can be twisted to mean something a little more colorful. If it happens to be BB, she laughs along with everyone else, quite pleased with herself in that she obviously said something funny. Ian, on the other hand, will laugh along with everyone else, but then he wants to know WHY it was funny! Depending on the degree of off-coloredness of the comment, either someone will explain the more "adult" meaning of the statement, or refer him to DIL1 for further education. All the tough ones get tossed into her court, where she usually lays it on the line.

So... if anyone out there is still reading this, I hope you enjoy. Keep on truckin'. Remember, every day above ground is a gift from God. Take care, and God bless!!

5 comments:

Hannah said...

Yes I do read your blog and check every-single-day for a fresh one.

Stop sending those kids and their tough questions to me daggonit (okay, not really, I love it).

And yes, yes you are correct. We are all on the right side of the dirt today. So that makes it a good one.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I love our "unique" dinner conversations!!!

Louisiana Rose said...

Someone needs to explain how BB's comment came about!

Hannah said...

Please do. I was not going to touch the piglet comment but would love to know the origin.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

It's a line from "Fairly OddParents" the boy fairy is pretty dense and comes up with some pretty bizarre stuff.